Hardy Perfect ( 4 1/4)

Henke

Reaction score
Hello

I am thinking of buying a perfect.
Instead of buying on of the old ones (first choice) I am looking at the new ones.
Can anyone please give me some information about the new ones...

1) Are they made in UK ?

2) Are they made in Alnwick (the "old Hardy place") ?

3) From what I understand - they have chanced place of manufacturing from abroad (far east) to UK.

4) I have heard that there has been some issues with the newer models handle in wood/ivory - was that some years ago (models from before 2015) ?

5) Has anyone used the new perfect and will give me an update/review ?

Looking forward to hear from you - if you have the answer to my questions or some of them....

Regards
Henke

gaula

Reaction score
Hardy wide spool perfect.

Hi

I have a Hardy Perfect wide spool 4 1/4''.

they are definitely made at Anwick, it has made in England
stamped on the reel seat.

Regarding the handle, I don't know of any problems.

In my opinion it is a great reel.

Hope this is of some use.

Brian.

Henke

Reaction score
Thank you Brian !
I ask as some of the new reels have Alnwick written on them (in the Middle of the sideplate) and others have not !
So I am thinking....
made by Hardy=Asia.
Made by Hardy Alnwick=made in England
I might be wrong of course.....

Hi

I have a Hardy Perfect wide spool 4 1/4''.

they are definitely made at Anwick, it has made in England
stamped on the reel seat.

Regarding the handle, I don't know of any problems.

In my opinion it is a great reel.

Hope this is of some use.

Brian.

bluejay

Reaction score
I have one of the new ones and like it very much. Machined steel, tight as can be, more durable than the old ones. My old ones have more character and personality, more gutsy sound, and are much heavier. As much as I love my new one I don't use it so much as it's not heavy enough to balance out any of my 16' rods. It can work but needs a few more ounces to be ideal for my situation. I could put some lead core at the bottom of the spool but have not done that, but I might.

gaula

Reaction score
Hi,

All hardy reels made in Alnwick, have the letter (A) followed by the reel number
stamped on the side of the reel seat. this applies to all hardy reels made in this country including the perfects.

The reel is easy to change from L/h to R/H wind, and spare spools are available.

The drag system, is click-check,

The 4 1/4 perfect is a quite a heavy reel being rated as 11/12#

For full details on this reel, go to Fly Fishing, Fly Rods, Fly Reels | Hardy Fishing(R)

This reel is made to last.

Brian.

Henke

Reaction score
Thanks Brian

I will look for the A !!

I might wait a see how the new Cascapedia ! It seems okay - and now when made in UK (again) the quality should be at a much higher level than the previous Korean-made (I do not know excately in which country in the East they were made).

I have not had a Hardy reel since the original Marquis and an old Perfect (from the 60s).

gaula

Reaction score
Hi Henke,

I also have a cascapedia 10/11, made in Korea, the build quality is second to none.
I use this reel most of the time, due to it's powerfull drag. quite a heavy reel.

I also have a Hardy Zane no2, 9/10# again very well built, with a powerfull drag.
which I use.

Getting back to the perfect, this is more of a traditional/classic reel, vey plain,
but it just oozes quality.

Decisions, Decisions.

Good Luck.

Brian.

Neil W

Reaction score
I have a new 4 1/2 inch perfect and it's a very nice reel on my 15' rod.
I agree with all the other comments on quality it's very good and a nice reel to fish with.
I have a MKIII Cascapedia which is Korean made and still very nice. I think I still prefer the perfect though as you can control a fish running with your fingers, unlike the Casca

Henke

Reaction score
Thanks Neil !
And Brian ! (Again ;-) ).

I will now carefully make my pick... ;-)