Hardy HBX - anyone tried one??

Karl-K

Reaction score
Has anyone had a cast or own an HBX double hander, there strangely seems to be zero information/reviews on them out there

Elibank

Reaction score
Just did a quick Google, can’t find a double hander, these prices might be considered steep, even for Hardy

C8A59864-8A49-4923-8CDB-DE12B38CD0D0.png

keirstream

Reaction score
I see Chuck has a used 13ft 6in HBX for sale at £600 which means someone has got rid of a £1200 rod for around £300.
Tells a wee story don't you think???

Karl-K

Reaction score
The Zenith was a great rod and should still be in production. How you can justify asking £1000 for a rod then two years later drop the price by half to get rid of them is not showing much loyalty to the customers
I don’t think that’s just Hardy, look at Loop clearing S1’s through the outlet store, what it does show is the mark up on salmon rods/tackle, there’s still profit at 50% off
i did see the 13’6 at JN’s that’s one of the reasons I was asking, I was very very close to walking out with it?

keirstream

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s just Hardy, look at Loop clearing S1’s through the outlet store, what it does show is the mark up on salmon rods/tackle, there’s still profit at 50% off
i did see the 13’6 at JN’s that’s one of the reasons I was asking, I was very very close to walking out with it?

You are absolutely correct but that doesn't make it right?
At least if I break my Loop Cross 12ft (which I bought 2nd hand for £350) I know I can still get spares.
Same vintage as Zeniths but far better customer service.
So I would be much more comfortable buying a Loop rod. (2nd hand of course, who buys these rods at full price?):)

Karl-K

Reaction score
Yep would agree, had a problem with an S1, new handle sent out FOC?
just gotta wait for a used 7x??

Finglas

Reaction score
Just to add my tuppence in....I agree with keirstream on Hardy and their customer service. In my experience it is poor across the board.

I've sent reels back to them only for them to deny they have them! Thankfully they were sent recorded. I've had problems with the angel 2 reel and the cascapedia reel. The angel 1 rod which at the time was around 800 quid ish ended up with a reputation for snapping, though I did think they felt great. But..... after them snapping left and right it seems they overcooked the angel 2 and now I find that really pretty stiff.

Having said that, I have a 13ft 6 zenith and it is a fantastic rod, feels great etc but when considering my experience in general and dealing with Hardy directly, I don't think I'd ever pay big money for a hardy rod again.

Jamie

Chucky_chan

Reaction score
Has anyone had a cast or own an HBX double hander, there strangely seems to be zero information/reviews on them out there
I bought one in September, the #10 and it broke on the first outing when picking the line up off the water. Got it swapped by Glasgow Angling straight away but doesn't fill me with confidence for if/when the replacement breaks and they've stop making sections.

Attachments

• B2F41891-A679-4EA0-AEC1-949D10224D30.jpeg
    B2F41891-A679-4EA0-AEC1-949D10224D30.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
  • FDC75208-3612-48D2-BF69-4E2011817E13.jpeg
    FDC75208-3612-48D2-BF69-4E2011817E13.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 60

JoeE

Reaction score
I bought one in September, the #10 and it broke on the first outing when picking the line up off the water. Got it swapped by Glasgow Angling straight away but doesn't fill me with confidence for if/when the replacement breaks and they've stop making sections.
Was in the shop a few weeks ago...and they have stopped making them already. One final rod in the shop for sale.

Hoddom

Reaction score
Another beware Hardy service comment. ive been buying up second hand zeniths for some years. it’s the best rod ever made. But they do so let themselves down. I’d never buy a new Hardy rod again. I expect spares for a £1k rod.
sage sorted out a 21 year old broken tip. Hardy couldn’t manage a couple of years.

simoncassidy

Reaction score
Was in the Hardy shop recently and had a !4ft 6 HBX and the new 14ft 6 Nsx together,The action on the HBX is much faster than the new NSX which I was told is akin to the Zenith blank ,I went for the NSX as I love my Zeniths.Plus as Joe said above the HBX was the last they had so assuming no spares.

Rockpool

Reaction score
Was in the Hardy shop recently and had a !4ft 6 HBX and the new 14ft 6 Nsx together,The action on the HBX is much faster than the new NSX which I was told is akin to the Zenith blank ,I went for the NSX as I love my Zeniths.Plus as Joe said above the HBX was the last they had so assuming no spares.
Will be interested to hear how you get on with the NSX when you have a cast with it.

q4fario

Reaction score
Don't know whether this is true or not but I heard the HBX was effectively a Zenith???