Hardy Cascapedia question

bluejay

Reaction score
Never owned one of these, but thinking about it in the 10/11. I need a heavy reel to balance a 16' rod. How are the current models? Are they the same as the Mk111? Any of the older models preferred over the current version? Have always read they performed great. Any comments appreciated.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have the new model, mine is one of the first edition when they re-introduced them. I have the 8/9 and have used it for 10 hard years without a hitch. The drag is very good and the reel has been well worth the $750.00 that they cost back then.

I like mine but would caution about placing them in sand or grout due to the construction. These aren't a reel you can easily tear down along the rivers side. Other than that I think you'll be satisfied with one. A 4 1/4 Prefect wide spool will give you the weight too you know...……

Ard

bluejay

Reaction score
Thanks Ard. Good to hear about experiences from someone who uses their reels.
I do have a couple heavy reels I use, a Farlow 4.25 and a Speyco 4.25. I also have a new 4.25 Perfect but it is considerably lighter than the other reels weighing in at 11.3 oz. I really like this reel as it is much more durable than the older Perfects. I see the current 10/11 Cascapedia's come in at 14 oz which starts to put it in the weight zone I'm looking for. I don't like to use the Farlow in these Pacific Northwest winters and looking for another reel that is heavy and more maintenance free. Its also not as pricey as the fine custom made spey reels available today.

gaula

Reaction score
Hi ,
I have the cascapedia mk111, and find it balances my B&W 15'6'' rod perfectly,
it is slightly heavier than the 4/1/4widespool perfect, which I also have, so I
tend to use it most of the time,

I have found the cascapedia reel to be very reliable, with a good drag system,
as stated,it doesn't take kindly to grit getting in to it, or being dunked in the
water too often, but there again, why abuse such a nice reel.

Brian.

Neil W

Reaction score
I have the new 10/11 and it is indeed heavier than my new Hardy Perfects 4.25”. It balances my 15ft rod really well and is a really solid well made reel. I used to own a mkIII which I sold and regretted doing so as it’s a nice reel but is lighter than the newer model.
I think the newer model with its extra weight is just right for a 15 to 16ft rod and you won’t be disappointed

fly guy

Reaction score
Bullet proof reel. I would suggest that the drag knob is always set at zero when not in use. As others have said avoid sand/grit getting into the works otherwise you end up with a pepper grinder! The Mark III was made in Korea and some of the reels had issues. I had one replaced by Hardy a number of years back when the black face plates started to oxidize after only a few outings.
The new Cascapedia's are made in the UK so should be better. I have the 10/11 and 8/9 and used them without any issues. I bought mine from the infamous "Telewatcher" off ebay at a really good price. Prices on these reels are starting to come down slowly and you may well pick up a good bargain by shopping around.

bluejay

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I take caution about getting my reels in dirt and grit, but when it's pouring rain the reel is going to get wet, but perhaps not as much as a dunking. Also try not to dunk, but that is unavoidable sometimes. Am guessing the dunking might affect the drag.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since it appears that the question has been answered I'm going to do a quick hijack of the thread
I don't know what year they reintroduced the Cascapedia but I became aware of them around 2009 and at that time you could still buy reels made in Alnwick England. I've seen a few of the Korean made MkII reels and aside from lacking the script 'Made In England' on the back plate they seem identical. I have not seen the MkIII reels in person but in pictures.

The new rendition I have seen and handled when I had a Hardy representative fishing a couple times last year. The biggest change I could see was the departure from the mirror polished rims of the original reintroduced models.

This is one of my favorite pictures, it's the 8/9 on one of my old Hardy Spey rods.

I saw the post mentioning to reset the drag to zero when not in use and that's good advice. My reel has a pretty strong start up resistance and most fish are handled on the 4th dot on the drag index. Truly large & strong fish require #8 on the index and that's a lot of resistance.

They are very nice reels and I've always been happy that I got one.

Hijack ended

Neil W

Reaction score
All reels should have their drag set to zero when not in use for long periods. The new English made reels also have a switch to turn off the click if you prefer a silent reel. The drag on the mkIII was very strong, too strong in fact and never had the drag set more than 5 clicks in. The drag on the new one is lighter and more useable in my opinion.
The reels do look good if that matters to you, I like the less shiny rims and with brexit looming we should be buying more made in U.K. products.

bluejay

Reaction score
I see a version of this reel listed at 13.2 oz and assume it is the prior version, perhaps made in Korea. Anyone know if it differs much from the latest version that is listed at 14 oz? Is the new one still labeled Mk111?
Thanks.

fly guy

Reaction score
I see a version of this reel listed at 13.2 oz and assume it is the prior version, perhaps made in Korea. Anyone know if it differs much from the latest version that is listed at 14 oz? Is the new one still labeled Mk111?
Thanks.
Mk II made in UK. Mk III made in Korea. The latest model is simply called "The Cascapedia" and has an additional button to turn off the reel ratchet sound which the previous two models don't have.

bluejay

Reaction score
Thanks all for sharing your knowledge base.
Think I do want one of these reels.

bluejay

Reaction score
I now have one on the way and getting excited. Never had a spey reel I could not palm before, but eager to give this one a go.
Anyone know off hand how much backing I need on this 10/11 Cascapedia and have ample room for 100' of mono running line and say a 70' head?
Thanks!

the ditch

Reaction score
I have used the Cascapedia Mk11 for a while now on larger rivers paired to a Hardy Swift 15ft rod a perfect combination for me, The drag gave me trouble in the earlier years and the guys at hardy sorted out and a fine job to, my last fish i had was a 21lb fish and what a dream of a reel to use.