Hard times in the Borders

Hemmy

Reaction score
Just seen closing down sale advert for Borders Angling Centre,Galashiels.

More fishing related businesses to follow suit me thinks :sad:

Morse

Reaction score
Hemmy,

During the winter I fish Rainbows at a local, excellently run, trout water. The owners give tea /coffee to visitors, they sell lessons (£40) with free balanced tackle for the lesson together with a fishing ticket for the day. They sell tackle, not for long, because customers go away, save £20, on line For the kit and then come back wondering why they have to pay £1 for a drink.

The owners are well advanced in investigating how to become a glamping site.

Can't blame them but I sure will miss them.

PS a bacon sandwich is £3.

PPS The water was closed for 2 months during the heat of summer.

Morse

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score
Game Fair in Berwick has closed down too.

To be fair however, I go in to these places looking to spend money, but when you have a look around at the stock there is very little to buy.

A few years back I sold a car to we buy any car at Gala and had an hour or so to kill waiting on my bus. I planned on killing that time stocking up on some fly tying gear, general salmon, trout and still water gear. After 10 mins I walked out with a pack of 1" copper tubes.

The best shop in the area is Borders Gun Room by a country miles and I always have a run out that way before I get on the internet for stuff.

Hemmy

Reaction score
I agree re Borders Gunroom and Ian is a helpful and knowledgeable angler with his fair share of luck.......I have used this shop for several years and always try and call in when in the area