Handy Table

bkupris

Reaction score

Jock

Reaction score

It would be if it was all correct. Take for example the 12' 9" Scandi, one of my favourite rods .They quote a 32g SH.....aye right:rolleyes: Too light, it is OK with 34g but the rod comes alive with a 38g head at 39'

This is not just my opinion but also the opinion of others who either own or have cast the rod.

On the other hand they are spot on with the 11' 8/9 switch 25g or 27g ( i prefer 27) over 33' is perfect.

Great range of rods from shakespeare but I would advise you ca' canny with some of their line recommendations.

porteouz

Reaction score
I'm struggling to understand why they are recommending skagit and scandi lines at the same weights, or within 2 grams.

bkupris

Reaction score
They are blowing these rods out at great prices just now, match it up with the right line for you and your ready to go :D

porteouz

Reaction score
Why wouldn't the scandi and skagit be the same weight?:confused:
Because by design skagits should be heavier than scandi's, that's why they are supposed to be cast using water borne casts. Look at Rio's line recommendations, all heavier

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CharlesW

Reaction score
It would be if it was all correct. Take for example the 12' 9" Scandi, one of my favourite rods .They quote a 32g SH.....aye right:rolleyes: Too light, it is OK with 34g but the rod comes alive with a 38g head at 39'

This is not just my opinion but also the opinion of others who either own or have cast the rod.

On the other hand they are spot on with the 11' 8/9 switch 25g or 27g ( i prefer 27) over 33' is perfect.

Great range of rods from shakespeare but I would advise you ca' canny with some of their line recommendations.

What shooting head would you recommend with the 13' 9'' Scandi?

Jock

Reaction score
What shooting head would you recommend with the 13' 9'' Scandi?

Tell you on Sunday Charles.:) Indeed I'll let you try some lines when we meet up.

Reckon we could get close to 100 salmon next week providing these Yorkshire lads do there bit:rolleyes::D:D:D

pfeul

Reaction score

It's quite funny how different we all might be.
For my own taste, I find the 12'9 is great with lines of 29 grams for 35' long and 31 grams for 31'. With a 34 grams Rio and 8/9, I find it slightly overlined. So I didn't even contemplate trying more than that.

Sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with my casting as I read the majority of caster use much more heavier lines than I do... :(

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
It's quite funny how different we all might be.
For my own taste, I find the 12'9 is great with lines of 29 grams for 35' long and 31 grams for 31'. With a 34 grams Rio and 8/9, I find it slightly overlined. So I didn't even contemplate trying more than that.

Sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with my casting as I read the majority of caster use much more heavier lines than I do... :(

Nowt wrong with your casting buddy,its down to the individual as to what style they like a ligther line just needs a little more line speed a faster stroke say!than a heavier line some are comfy with this some prefer a heavier line and a more relaxed stroke on the forward cast,i use differing line weigths on most of my rods and will choose a ligther option when stealth can play a part but at the same time if i need a little more distance or use a bigger/heavier fly then i will opt for a heavier line weight its all good mate,this can be done using the same rod

John Keane

Reaction score
I realise that this is resurrecting a two year old thread, but I have just had a fish out of the Spey on the 13’9” Scandi using an AFS 8/9 and a 6ft Rio Slow Sink poly and the rod and line combo is brilliant!

gerardemmanuel

Reaction score
Scandi 12,9

Hi I have got the same rod ans I like it very much - Good cast with the Shakespeare short 32 g but excellent cast with Barrio Switch 30, 5 g!!! No doubt at all the Barrio is better !!! Good luck . Gérard (from Paris)