Hampshire Avon 2021

sneakypeter

Reaction score
It has clearly been in the river for some months, plus it is not of the usual stocky build of most Avon fish, could easily be a fish that came in January/February, and dealt with months of floods etc. I have never caught an Avon fish showing that much colour even into August, odd , but nature has its way!

marty31

Reaction score
this forum gets a bigger laugh by the day! THAT 42 pund ? a spring fish in may looking like that? whens it going to milt? tomorrow?
come on? is it not a photo chopped fish from last December, 14 pund, basically bait for a M31 wind up?

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Monster reported from Bisterne this morning......was measured and it put the fish at 42lb😮😮

What did he measure it with a bit of elastic 🙄 I don't know much about the Avon but I do
Know that's never in a million years 42lb, be very LUCKY if it made 24lb

nickolas

Reaction score
Here’s a fish caught 5 years ago measure 109cm estimated 30-32lbs, no comparison, just look its shoulder and depth. If you have ever seen a 40lbs + fish they are one hell of a fish.

Attachments

• 25B84139-711E-4530-8874-7CA03ECB512F.jpeg
    25B84139-711E-4530-8874-7CA03ECB512F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 191

Gary M

Reaction score
Well it's all gone quiet out there water dropping and temperature rising a few fish lost but nothing on the banks where are all the 2sw fish ?

PeterRoss

Reaction score
Peter, the numbers would seem to be a fair bit lower than last year ,by a factor of 3x or thereabouts, as seems to be the case all over, maybe the colder sea temperatures are keeping them at sea, the next month will be interesting for sure.
Sorry for the slow response, is your estimate of numbers being 1/3rd of last year based on fish caught or fish running? Just looking at the counter data to end of April, there doesn't seem to be a dramatic shift between the years? But you may have seen the May numbers?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Sorry for the slow response, is your estimate of numbers being 1/3rd of last year based on fish caught or fish running? Just looking at the counter data to end of April, there doesn't seem to be a dramatic shift between the years? But you may have seen the May numbers?
Peter, the Ea guy who deals with the counter gets quizzed regularly by a couple of friends on the Royalty and it would appear that when fish turn up, they are in small numbers, between 2 and 5 fish. The big tides at this time would normally show 10 to 15 fish, with more later. OK there is nothing usual about Salmon, they just turn up as and when they feel like it, but this year their appearance seems rather random, days in the peak times with nothing, then just a few, then zilch. Odd , but many rivers are showing very little at all, maybe the lower sea temperatures are delaying them, or some issue at sea has taken them out (nets????)

Tony M

Reaction score
Well it's all gone quiet out there water dropping and temperature rising a few fish lost but nothing on the banks where are all the 2sw fish ?
Gary, I think you’ve already caught quite enough fish this season, stop moaning 😀

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Got next week off to fish, shame the temperature looks like it might put a stop to that, 16.85c today, a warm week ahead, not promising at all. Think I might just hang up the salmon gear for this season!

Andrew B

Reaction score
Doesn't look as big as the April fish?
Sorry very poor photo, and colour not great as others have said! But good to catch!View attachment 61678
Wowzers I’m a bit late to this one but two examples on here that show two different ways of guesstimating a fish.
Gary Ms “24lb” fish I said at the time is a very humble estimate imo and has been guessed in a totally different manner to the coloured “42lb” coloured fish which I can only put down to inexperience as a twenty pound salmon to a newbie could look anything between 20 and 40lb given the excitement?
But when all said and done the Gary M fish looks every bit an Avon springer with such a wide girth and tail. As for the other fish I’m just putting it out there, that the River Nevern in Wales would sometimes get a run of spawning fish in March/April that would shoot up, spawn and be gone it they were said to be greybacks and I couldn’t tell you how coloured they were, only that they were ready for spawning upon entering the river in spring?
If I had to guess the coloured the fish which imo looks to be half the weight given, could well be something similar to the Nevern fish?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Oh well there goes my annual slaughter plan, June 16th has always been a red letter day for me, just love being able to fish properly with a prawn, not to be this season. I respect the temperature cut off point, I hate the thought of fish being unable to recover due to low oxygen levels, just no point in endangering an endangered species any further. Frustrating, but that,s the way it is at the moment, hopefully temperatures will drop soon, but not likely in the near future, DOH.

Isisalar

Reaction score
This season has been a fight against the government and their restrictions, gale force winds in April/May and now the heatwave weather.
Looking forward to some cooler weather and some Summer rain.

Gary M

Reaction score
Oh well there goes my annual slaughter plan, June 16th has always been a red letter day for me, just love being able to fish properly with a prawn, not to be this season. I respect the temperature cut off point, I hate the thought of fish being unable to recover due to low oxygen levels, just no point in endangering an endangered species any further. Frustrating, but that,s the way it is at the moment, hopefully temperatures will drop soon, but not likely in the near future, DOH.
You are the prawn master hope for some rain so you can pay a visit to our home river mate ! I always enjoy your company 👍

PeterRoss

Reaction score
Yes I've put the double hander away over the weekend, that's it for the Avon salmon on the fly this season I think. Might try one or two spots for a sea trout though, when it does cool down a bit, there do seem to be slightly more about this year. Do any of you have fished the river for a long time have any advice on best time of day/ night, flies, or anything else helpful?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Hopefully sooner rather than later Gary, we know there are fish there, just need some cooler and wetter weather, fingers crossed the storms forecast later this week are on the large size, rather than just a little splash!

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Actually fished today, found nothing an 18lber was caught plus one lost, grilse showing on the Royalty today, maybe things are looking up!

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
First prawn from a new packet (thanks Woody) 44inch coloured cock fish weighed and witnessed at 29lb 8oz what a fish and fight😎

Would love to see the photo, your a fair honest man stating a capture at 29.5lbs, it's funny since C&R all the 19lbers and 29lbers have disappeared. Only 20lbers and 30lbers reported but you are a honest brother of the angle! Well done!

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Today was just Yuk, rain from the start that just got heavier, a N/E wind that picked up and a max temperature of 12.5c, good for the fish, BUT I actually found a willing taker, a lovely fresh 15lb hen fish, no lice , but very bright, well worth the allover damp feeling!

CPM

Reaction score
Well done Peter, I knew you'd find one sooner or later, on the prawn I assume?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
7 fish in the last 5 days, thats more like it, hopefully signs of a more sustained, later run, grilse will be amongst them very soon.