Hampshire Avon 2021

CPM

Reaction score
Looks like my luck has changed, I managed to lose one this morning at Somerley, one of those that thrash around on the surface until the hook flew out. Looked like a fresh fish of about 12lb, saw another one as well so good news that a few are making their way up.

Gary M

Reaction score
We've got to see one at somerley soon we are due another one or two! The river is still fishing great on the fly !!!

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Gary you are right, but the main issue does seem to be the lack of numbers running, the odd 2/3 fish, then big gaps, not a lot of weed growth may well make them a tad twitchy too and prone to run through the estate waters. As things warm up, the weed will get going providing some cover, we may well get fish holding, but the numbers need to ramp up, big time.
Would be interesting to know what the exploitation rate is (ie, % hooked ) my bet, it is very high, which might explain the lack of fish encountered up river???????

Gary M

Reaction score
I agree Peter I think the hooked fish rate to fish had been very high and that's not including the number of fish hooked and lost with the high tides we have had this week you would expect to have seen a few more fish unless they are just not there ! Let's see if anything happens over the next few days !!!

PeterRoss

Reaction score
I'm not sure the picture is as troubling as seems to be thought, but please correct me if the following is wrong. The fish through the counter this year to May seem to be broadly similar to last year. (the absolute numbers can't be correct, but as a broad representation of fish movements). Last year the Avon has been reported as having a very good overall run of fish by recent standards. But most of the fish ran in June July August (and the back end). So, with the noteable exception perhaps of 2016 , catches Feb to May have not been numerous, just good fish and not many of them. Perhaps I've missed something, and there are many of you who know the river better than me!

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Peter, the numbers would seem to be a fair bit lower than last year ,by a factor of 3x or thereabouts, as seems to be the case all over, maybe the colder sea temperatures are keeping them at sea, the next month will be interesting for sure.

Andrew B

Reaction score
If it was the fish in the picture going around, a heavily coloured cock fish, dont get too excited!
Heavily coloured at this time of year? Yikes that’s quite unusual. There’s no doubting that the Avon has fish of that size running the river.

Bisterne rod

Reaction score
I think the colour is down to the camera phone. I had a call and could tell by his voice the fish was big and at that point the length had not been checked against a scale.

PeterRoss

Reaction score
Doesn't look as big as the April fish?
Sorry very poor photo, and colour not great as others have said! But good to catch!
Screenshot_20210530-214907_Photos.jpg

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Its all rather farcical, another claimed biggie, no actual weighing, guesstimation against dubious measurements, my coarse fishing friends laugh at the stupidity, if you want to put a weight on a fish, weigh it, simple enough, decent scales can be bought for £20 or so, just hooked through the side of the net, weigh the net either before or after, a simple process, subtract the nets weight and job done.

Bullet

Reaction score
Its all rather farcical, another claimed biggie, no actual weighing, guesstimation against dubious measurements, my coarse fishing friends laugh at the stupidity, if you want to put a weight on a fish, weigh it, simple enough, decent scales can be bought for £20 or so, just hooked through the side of the net, weigh the net either before or after, a simple process, subtract the nets weight and job done.
You don't even need to pay that much, I bought a set for a few quid of ebay,electronic luggage scales I think, not even the size of a fag packet and very accurate ( I've tested them with small and large known weights).
That photo looks like the taker has gone for the 'fix lighting' option on the phone!

Daunker

Reaction score
Sorry very poor photo, and colour not great as others have said! But good to catch!View attachment 61678
It's a super fish. Well done. All I would ask is please don't haul them up and onto the grass for a photo so far away from the river. This doesn't do them any good, and regardless of size every salmon matters and should be returned as quickly and safely as possible with minimum time out of the water, and ideally none.

PeterRoss

Reaction score
It's a super fish. Well done. All I would ask is please don't haul them up and onto the grass for a photo so far away from the river. This doesn't do them any good, and regardless of size every salmon matters and should be returned as quickly and safely as possible with minimum time out of the water, and ideally none.
Just in case of any confusion, not my catch, just posting photo as it was requested by someone.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Are you guys sure that someone is not having a laugh here?
The fish looks like an autumn fish, and (accepting you are a lot further south than me) the leaves on the trees behind the angler do not have a fresh spring look about them.
Exactamont !!

nickolas

Reaction score
The fish looks like an autumn fish, and (accepting you are a lot further south than me) the leaves on the trees behind the angler do not have a fresh spring look about them.
I have never seen a May fish look like that in 50 years of fishing, maybe the climate changing.

Red Spinner

Reaction score

The Dandelion seed heads and height of the river are correct for a recent photogragh.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Sorry very poor photo, and colour not great as others have said! But good to catch!View attachment 61678
For comparison, there is a pic of a 47lbs fish on this page. (I am unsure if it was bled out prior to weighing or not) -