Hampshire Avon 2021

PeterRoss

Reaction score
I would be aiming to get the fly mid water or deeper....most fish I've seen in their lies on the Avon have been clamped to the bottom.
You do get exceptions to this like the Parlour Pool on the Royalty, where they can be seen swimming around the pool or holding in mid water along the wall.....this is probably more due to the fact that they will run the ladder if there is a good flow of water. This may be the case below any obstacles, but as a general rule they will lie closer to the bottom than the surface IMHO.
Saying that, try a bomber on a floating line and you'll probably catch one!😁😁
Tight lines.
Very grateful for your help, always good to believe you are doing the right thing...

PeterRoss

Reaction score
Generally I would agree, deep and slow, when the water is cold. However the 4 fish I have caught this season have come from mid water at the deepest, I personally stopped using the tungsten leaders and shooting heads about a month ago, mainly because I find using a full line more enjoyable casting. I think water clarity is a big factor as well. The fish I caught last week came from one of the deeper pools, but with a much shallower run into and out of the pool it was laziness on my part that I didn't change set up, so that fish came for it. This week I was fishing a plastic tube no deeper than 2 feet in a weir pool and it got nailed. All of this probably just shows my amazing luck at the moment, but also that there are no hard and fast rules
Many thanks, I suppose the point is (surprises aside!) you need to adapt to each pool so you are fishing midwater or lower whether it's 4 feet or 8 feet of water... not just stick with what you have on... Well, enough of the theories... back to the water tomorrow. Tight lines all

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Why on earth would the Royalty stock brownies?
As far as I know, the fish were bought from a now defunct trout farm and dumped into the fishery, there were some big fish in amongst them, 20lb +. I have no reason to doubt my sources, and have had confirmation of the clearance sale from elsewhere.
I would imagine lots will have moved up or down river in the floods, and they will cover some distance, assuming they survive the transition from stewpond to raging river?
Quite why is anyone,s guess, but I doubt the necessary legalities were adhered too, very odd indeed, but the fishery management is hardly textbook, downright dubious probably sums it up best!!!!!!!!!

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Many thanks, I suppose the point is (surprises aside!) you need to adapt to each pool so you are fishing midwater or lower whether it's 4 feet or 8 feet of water... not just stick with what you have on... Well, enough of the theories... back to the water tomorrow. Tight lines all
You can theories all you like, but a fish running the river, that has a rest stop is more than likely to be high up in the water column, rather than deep down, only fish that take up a long term holding spot are likely to be deep down! As CPM (colin) said, all his fish have been midwater or above, and all have been fresh fish.

Salmon Fisher

Reaction score
You can theories all you like, but a fish running the river, that has a rest stop is more than likely to be high up in the water column, rather than deep down, only fish that take up a long term holding spot are likely to be deep down! As CPM (colin) said, all his fish have been midwater or above, and all have been fresh fish.
If true this is appalling. You need EA consent to stock and that is getting harder all the time and they specify size and numbers you can stock to match the habitat and historic stocking patters - so chance of permission for trout over 2lb is highly unlikely on Avon!

sneakypeter

Reaction score
If true this is appalling. You need EA consent to stock and that is getting harder all the time and they specify size and numbers you can stock to match the habitat and historic stocking patters - so chance of permission for trout over 2lb is highly unlikely on Avon!
Could not agree more, I was gobsmacked when told, but cowboys running a fishery do tend to do their own thing regardless. I am assured it is true. The odd one has been caught which is a surprise, I was expecting loads, .but they could be anywhere by now, they went in in January.

Tony M

Reaction score
So all those Avon fish caught on paternostered plugs, devons and the like fished 12” to 18” off the bottom were resident fish in long term holding spots? Some might have been but I think it’s more likely that they were resting fish laying near the bottom. Midwater has to be relative to the depth, 2’ down in 4’ of water sounds fine but 6’ down in 12’.... not so sure.

HantsAvon

Reaction score
A fresh 12lb fish for my fishing partner this morning from the Royalty......did some aerial acrobatics and put up a good fight. Fly was a black and yellow Helmsdale special....
1618751865-picsay.jpg
1618751903-picsay.jpg
1618751927-picsay.jpg
1618751961-picsay.jpg

I believe Somerley also had one this morning.

Last edited:

sneakypeter

Reaction score
So all those Avon fish caught on paternostered plugs, devons and the like fished 12” to 18” off the bottom were resident fish in long term holding spots? Some might have been but I think it’s more likely that they were resting fish laying near the bottom. Midwater has to be relative to the depth, 2’ down in 4’ of water sounds fine but 6’ down in 12’.... not so sure.
Tony ,my post was a little of the mark, yes in the good old days fish were caught deep down on devons and the like ,early season, there were a lot more about, so its likely they would occupy different parts of the pools, at any time. In the past few seasons, in highwater periods when spinning is allowed, most ,if not all of the early fish caught were on fly, and most were in shallow water, the devons have produced little or nothing, and the fish were mainly hooked in shallow water, 6 feet or less.

Tony M

Reaction score
Tony ,my post was a little of the mark, yes in the good old days fish were caught deep down on devons and the like ,early season, there were a lot more about, so its likely they would occupy different parts of the pools, at any time. In the past few seasons, in highwater periods when spinning is allowed, most ,if not all of the early fish caught were on fly, and most were in shallow water, the devons have produced little or nothing, and the fish were mainly hooked in shallow water, 6 feet or less.
I take on board what you’re saying Peter but my point was not so much about how deep the fish were caught but how far off the bottom they lie. I still think if you fished a Devon in that water of 6’ or less that you’d catch the fish a foot to 18” off the bottom rather than in mid-water where the fly is fishing especially in coloured water. It seems now that most fishers prefer the fly so I guess it’s academic anyway. Good luck if you fish this week.

PeterRoss

Reaction score
I have been using swing tubes this season (propellerfly swing tubes). I just remove the usual rubber tubing from the rear of the tube, thread tube fly onto the leader, then thread a swing tube onto the leader. Tie on your choice of hook and then insert the hook into the swing tube.The swing tube will then just butt up against the tube fly.
Has been working fine for me.....but no fish yet!
Sean
Hi Sean, Thanks again for your help, the swing tubes i have bought (propellerfly) probably would't accept a hook bigger than an 8, have I bought the wong size tubes? ( I could only see one size) I was thinking early on, I might want to fish bigger, but dont think they'd slide in?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I fit size 2 singles in the swing tubes, they need a push, but no problem, they might be a tad small for a standard (ringed) eye treble, but all the doubles I have fit well.

HantsAvon

Reaction score
Hi Sean, Thanks again for your help, the swing tubes i have bought (propellerfly) probably would't accept a hook bigger than an 8, have I bought the wong size tubes? ( I could only see one size) I was thinking early on, I might want to fish bigger, but dont think they'd slide in?
I got the larger size from a Norwegian shop use size 6 Ahrex doubles with them no problem.

CPM

Reaction score
There is a video on the net that shows you how to make your own, using plastic tube or a ballpoint tube, very simple, just gently heat a short length of tube in the middle with a lighter till it softens, and stretch it to reduce the diameter in the middle, then trim to the length required. An empty ballpoint tube is perfect, slightly larger inside diameter than the ready made ones and the larger size hooks fit easily.

PeterRoss

Reaction score
There is a video on the net that shows you how to make your own, using plastic tube or a ballpoint tube, very simple, just gently heat a short length of tube in the middle with a lighter till it softens, and stretch it to reduce the diameter in the middle, then trim to the length required. An empty ballpoint tube is perfect, slightly larger inside diameter than the ready made ones and the larger size hooks fit easily.
Many thanks for this tip, very helpful