Hampshire Avon 2021

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
There is no doubt every Avon salmon caught is a well won fish, I dread to think of the collective hours put in between fish, by many anglers, but I don,t suppose we are much different to the vast majority of salmon anglers all over the UK. Its all about that anticipation of a take, cast after cast, day after day, maybe not today, but tomorrow, or the day after, but always optomistic. Crazy maybe, but next time !!!!

100% completely agree. It's not just the Avon but every English river. Just make the take and capture worth the while when/if it comes....

PeterRoss

Reaction score
Quiet session today, river a little.coloured, but perfectly ok. A nice chub grabbed my fly, but nothing else seen.
Was expecting to read read reports of fish! Any news anyone?
Michael

sneakypeter

Reaction score
All gone quiet, tides dropping off to neaps, flow dropping or any other of the usual excuses. Should improve into next week as the tides build.!!!!!!

HantsAvon

Reaction score
Fished Bisterne this afternoon.....nothing to report, apart from a pike!
Bisterne did have another fish in the week, so now on two.

HantsAvon

Reaction score
Went out for a couple of hours this evening, but no pulls. I did bump into an angler who had an 11.5lb fish from Ibsley today.
Bisterne also had a 4.5lb sea trout and 15lb salmon today, so there are some about....
Tight lines if your venturing out in the next day or two!

Isisalar

Reaction score
A friend has had a few sea Trout too. Very unusual this early, also a few coming off the Itchen.
Might risk a go on the light switch rod for them next time down.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Are these fish seatrout, or overwintered stockies???? The Royalty dumped a load of brownies in the fishery early in the year, they will have spread out both up and downstream, just waiting to destroy the smolt run!!!!!!!!!!

Salmon Fisher

Reaction score
I wondered. I had a 4-14 silver brownie up at Downton yesterday. Definitely an over wintered stockie from its fins. Still great fun on a dry grannom and it will smoke beautifully.

Isisalar

Reaction score
Why on earth would the Royalty stock brownies? They don't do trout tickets do they?
Got to say when the mayfly are up and I've seen some good hatches at Winkton, the most surprising thing is how few Trout there are there, at least rare to see any rising.

PeterRoss

Reaction score
Question to those who know the Avon well - Even though the river is quite low, the temperature is still relatively cold, would you still be trying to get down to at least mid water with the fly? or deeper still? All thoughts and knowledge welcomed !

HantsAvon

Reaction score
Question to those who know the Avon well - Even though the river is quite low, the temperature is still relatively cold, would you still be trying to get down to at least mid water with the fly? or deeper still? All thoughts and knowledge welcomed !
I would be aiming to get the fly mid water or deeper....most fish I've seen in their lies on the Avon have been clamped to the bottom.
You do get exceptions to this like the Parlour Pool on the Royalty, where they can be seen swimming around the pool or holding in mid water along the wall.....this is probably more due to the fact that they will run the ladder if there is a good flow of water. This may be the case below any obstacles, but as a general rule they will lie closer to the bottom than the surface IMHO.
Saying that, try a bomber on a floating line and you'll probably catch one!😁😁
Tight lines.

CPM

Reaction score
Generally I would agree, deep and slow, when the water is cold. However the 4 fish I have caught this season have come from mid water at the deepest, I personally stopped using the tungsten leaders and shooting heads about a month ago, mainly because I find using a full line more enjoyable casting. I think water clarity is a big factor as well. The fish I caught last week came from one of the deeper pools, but with a much shallower run into and out of the pool it was laziness on my part that I didn't change set up, so that fish came for it. This week I was fishing a plastic tube no deeper than 2 feet in a weir pool and it got nailed. All of this probably just shows my amazing luck at the moment, but also that there are no hard and fast rules