Hampshire Avon 2021

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I want some of whatever he stomped in, obviously working for him, well angled Colin.

CPM

Reaction score
First season i've fished the Royalty,the whole river looks bang on,good to see fish coming from all over. I've just got a feeling the next six or seven weeks could be a bit special fingers crossed.

Gary M

Reaction score
I think you could be right mate this could be the start of a great couple of months 👍

Isisalar

Reaction score
I'm down Saturday for my first trip of the year, if everything works out. Watch out Winkton!
How deep are these fish being taken and on what size flies?
Water was at over 11c a few days ago.
Just checked and it's down to 8.2 today and this cold Northerly wind is with us for the weekend. 20-30mph Saturday.
Challenging for the fly!

Last edited:

HantsAvon

Reaction score
I'm down Saturday for my first trip of the year, if everything works out. Watch out Winkton!
How deep are these fish being taken and on what size flies?
Water was at over 11c a few days ago.
Just checked and it's down to 8.2 today and this cold Northerly wind is with us for the weekend. 20-30mph Saturday.
Challenging for the fly!
I was fishing relatively deep in the pool I was fishing with a 2" copper tube.....

HantsAvon

Reaction score
Line was a shooting head sink3/sink7....a Vision head I think (was using my friends rod when I caught mine)! He was thinking of getting the rod I was using (an RJC rod), so we swapped over!
I had a Rio Gamechanger (F/I/S3) with a sink 5/6/7 MOW tip on my rod.

Hoddom

Reaction score
Fish run a lot higher up river than Fordingbridge, a lot of fish do take up residence lower down, just a lottery really. I do not hear much talked about above Bickton, but that is my circle of friends. The Longford estate, well above Fordingbridge get a decent number of fish, so got to be worth fishing!
Thanks Peter.

Isisalar

Reaction score
Line was a shooting head sink3/sink7....a Vision head I think (was using my friends rod when I caught mine)! He was thinking of getting the rod I was using (an RJC rod), so we swapped over!
I had a Rio Gamechanger (F/I/S3) with a sink 5/6/7 MOW tip on my rod.
Thanks again, what sort of depth was the pool?

HantsAvon

Reaction score
Went out for a couple of hours this evening......hooked something in lower cabbage, but it came to the top, thrashed around and then the hook pinged out....looked silvery too🙁
Wasn't too bad an evening....wind dropped off and felt very fishy!
Good luck to those venturing out tomorrow....

Isisalar

Reaction score
Went out for a couple of hours this evening......hooked something in lower cabbage, but it came to the top, thrashed around and then the hook pinged out....looked silvery too🙁
Wasn't too bad an evening....wind dropped off and felt very fishy!
Good luck to those venturing out tomorrow....
20-30 mph Northerly winds forecast ,Winkton.Could be hairy

sneakypeter

Reaction score
BBC forecast, 10-12mph south westerly tomorrow, switching back to n/w but only 10/12mph, cold nights but a tad warmer day time, should stabilise the water temperature.

Gary M

Reaction score
I totally agree I think Avon anglers are a breed of our own but every minute on the bank is worth while I'm sure I learn something new every time I go out !!!

sneakypeter

Reaction score
There is no doubt every Avon salmon caught is a well won fish, I dread to think of the collective hours put in between fish, by many anglers, but I don,t suppose we are much different to the vast majority of salmon anglers all over the UK. Its all about that anticipation of a take, cast after cast, day after day, maybe not today, but tomorrow, or the day after, but always optomistic. Crazy maybe, but next time !!!!