Hampshire Avon 2021

HantsAvon

Reaction score
Happy new year and let's hope we get a good run of fish this season.....and we are allowed to fish for them!
Looking forward to trying some new kit, flies and minnows.
Tight lines all,
Sean

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I am nearly sorted, whether I get to fish remains to be seen, lets hope so!

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Oh well potentially February 1st is a no go, all fishing currently banned in England as of midnight

PeterRoss

Reaction score
What a sad start to the season. The river is looking nicely flushed and settling to a good fishing level, clarity ideal, clear but not "Gin", everything as we would want it. Now we'll just have to watch and wait and hope..

Isisalar

Reaction score
January is probably the best month to not be allowed to fish. February is never that productive anyway looking at historical figures. Let's hope for plenty of rain to fill those aquifiers and keep the river at spinning height. Raring to get the spinning outfit out. Rather than struggling in the wind with the fly rod and with 2'' copper tubes flying around.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Indeed....looks like I'll be minnow making for a while!
Thought about doing some more, then had a look through various drawers in my tackle store, probably 200 or so, from 1-4inch, floaters and sinkers, every colour , enough, flies the same, spoons, mepps/flying C, plugs, mostly all handmade in profusion. Need another project!!!!

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Sean your OK, your local, I could not justify an 80 mile each way trip in the present ruling or circumstances, hopefully that may change, but not too hopeful at the moment.

Reactions: Sim

Gary M

Reaction score
The Avon was looking great a few days ago water just inside most of the banks with about 5 foot of visibility but with the fresh rain probably need a little paddle to get to the pools 😁

Bisterne rod

Reaction score
looks like it has been a good spawning year. I walked 4 miles of the Nadder at Christmas water was to high to see much but did find a fresh otter kill hen full of roe !!.
Now the water has dropped the Keeper tells me he has seen 15+ Redds and a number of fish still about.

PeteJ

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just joined Christchurch AC, looking to fish at Winkton as soon as the season starts. I had a few grilse out of the Parlour Pool last summer, but am pretty new to salmon fishing on the Avon. Any advice? Thanks in advance...

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just joined Christchurch AC, looking to fish at Winkton as soon as the season starts. I had a few grilse out of the Parlour Pool last summer, but am pretty new to salmon fishing on the Avon. Any advice? Thanks in advance...
A tricky, but potentially rewarding fishery, get the East Mills Flume sight on your phone for reference, above 1.18mtrs(was 1.2mtrs), spinning is allowed from February 1st, otherwise its fly only until May 15th, then prawn/shrimp from June 16th, temperature at Knapp mill allowing(19c cut off).
Be prepared to use the most appropriate method allowed, on any given day! If you want to just fly fish, good luck, but you will limit your chances!
Fish run through both weirs, the section above the first weir looks uninviting, but holds fish, not fly water, better suited to spinning/bait fishing, lots of pools, lots of water, good luck.

PeteJ

Reaction score
A tricky, but potentially rewarding fishery, get the East Mills Flume sight on your phone for reference, above 1.18mtrs(was 1.2mtrs), spinning is allowed from February 1st, otherwise its fly only until May 15th, then prawn/shrimp from June 16th, temperature at Knapp mill allowing(19c cut off).
Be prepared to use the most appropriate method allowed, on any given day! If you want to just fly fish, good luck, but you will limit your chances!
Fish run through both weirs, the section above the first weir looks uninviting, but holds fish, not fly water, better suited to spinning/bait fishing, lots of pools, lots of water, good luck.
Thanks very much! Hoping for good condition on the 1st.

Joe90

Reaction score
Evening all, First season salmon fishing the Avon last season.... bit of a non starter really, both my wife and myself hit with Covid in March, i got off lightly but my wife is still suffering long covid.. Anyway, only got to the river twice 🤦‍♂️ both times were late in the season and the weed was up and the sun hot so stood no chance. This season hopefully if we are allowed to travel then i will be on it much sooner. I'm all ready to go so fingers crossed.
Tight lines,
Joe 🎣

Gary M

Reaction score
Less than a week to go can't wait to get a fly in the water ! With all the rain the river should have had a good flush out leaving nice gravel beds 👍

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Will be a tad muddy on the banks, even if they dry out a bit, water is very cold, 3.89c today, need it too warm up to tempt fish in from the warmer sea(7.7c today).

Isisalar

Reaction score
Looking at the Royalty and Knapp mill data there's very few fish come in before the end of March. There's a big temperature rise coming on Wednesday and the river responds very quickly to temperature changes so who knows?
I'd give it a go if I was local.
A friend fished Somerly before the latest lockdown. Something grabbed a 1/1/2oz plummet twice. He's pretty sure it was a Salmon and he knows what he's talking about.
How's the tide for the first?

Edit. That is Sopley not Somerly.

Last edited:

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I would be there on the 1st, but travel restrictions means its just a non starter for me, I wish you luck , and hope to get down sooner rather than later.

Gary M

Reaction score
Next spring tide is Saturday sea temperature is 7.5 the Avon is 6.17 today so all most warm enough to encourage some fish up 👍