Hampshire Avon 2020

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Finally got to the Avon today, first cast had a take which resulted in a fresh 12lb fish, several hours later hooked a 2nd, from the moment I hooked it, I knew this was the one, huge, after 10 minutes that gut wrenching ping as the hook pulled, I saw the fish many times at close quarters as it charged up and down the pool I have little doubt it was comfortably 25lb +. Oh well it happens. Several hours, and some miles later, a very angry cock fish of 15lb+ helped ease the pain , a little! Had a couple of other offers, but no hook ups, now drowning my sorrows, not the first time, and will probably not be the last!!!!
peter

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Odd picture (thats the 15) its not on the bank, there is a section of bank broken away with water flowing through it, the expression is down to my wellies filling up! taken with a voice activated selfie app on my phone.

ellipse

Reaction score
Your patience finally paid off Peter. Well done and sorry about the big guy, which hopefully is still around for us to catch at some point this week!

Isisalar

Reaction score
Well done Peter. High hopes for both the Itchen and the Avon today with the Spring tide but saw no signs of Salmon on either. The Spring tide appears to have moved on the Winkton residents too. Or the temperature has put them down.
Very interesting information on the Stour from one of the Ringwood bailiffs. I'll drop you a PM.
River will probably be closed this week due to the temperature I'm thinking. Let's look forward to seeing the grilse and sea Trout arriving in numbers. When the temperature has dropped a bit.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Was certainly nice to not only be on the river, but to encounter some fish, as for the one that got away, it was just awesome to be connected with such a beast, I had sort of worked out how I was going to net it when the hook pulled, my guess is it was hooked near the front of the mouth in the bony bit and probably being a cockfish? not a good place, the barbless single just lost its usually reliable grip, no point in dwelling on it, time to plan its downfall!!!!
The river will be out for a few days, but some chance next week if the storms appear, a drop in temperature forecast through the weekend and next week, fingers crossed.
peter

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Boiling point today, should drop rapidly, but my only chance on Monday looks unlikely, but not entirely a right off, I will not fish over 18c, just does not seem to work, but 17c is fine, fingers crossed!
peter

Salmon Fisher

Reaction score
Looks like it will be below 18C Monday the way it dropped yesterday. Looks OK all week but I wont make it until end of week.

WombatPool

Reaction score
I’ll return to the royalty again soon once the temps have dropped, I haven’t fished it since catching that salmon from the lower stretch a few weeks ago, but I’ve been itching to get back and try again. I’ve been fishing the Exe and the Taw!
I’m tempted to give the prawn a whirl on my next visit, I’ve never used bait for salmon but there’s a first time for everything. I guess I need to order a prawning needle, sharpish!

PeterRoss

Reaction score
Hoping to get in a few hours on the river tomorrow , any news from the Avon Anglers this last few days?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
A 23lb fresh fish from the Royalty yesterday, I believe 1or 2 others caught, plenty showing and still running, some grilse about, all looking very good, not easy, but it never is, but there are fish in numbers in the system, same on the Test and Itchen too.
peter

HantsAvon

Reaction score
Myself and fishing partner both lost a fish each today at Bisterne on top beat........but one was caught on middle beat.
Hopefully something will stick tomorrow....

Bisterne rod

Reaction score
Myself and fishing partner both lost a fish each today at Bisterne on top beat........but one was caught on middle beat.
Hopefully something will stick tomorrow....
Yes after an hour covering a fish that showed twice with a prawn first cast with a mepps 31in Hen fish fresh😎. I then joined the lost one club 😱. Martin

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Grilse are in, some showing at the royalty and no doubt they are upriver too, some fresh big fish showing as well, looking forward to tomorrow.

HantsAvon

Reaction score
A bit quiet today......one grilse to Paul in the Parlour.
Other fish seen, but I think the majority are still running.
Good luck for tomorrow Peter.

PeterRoss

Reaction score
Thanks for all reports, always encouraging to know others are seeing / catching fish, (even after a blank!) and great that numbers still look quite promising this year.