Hampshire Avon 2020

HantsAvon

Reaction score
Well, I don't think the fishing can get much worse than last season, so fingers crossed we get a good run of fish this year......there's certainly enough water to encourage them into the system!
Hopefully, we will be able to get to the riverbank come the 1 February, but it may well be the devon minnow (as opposed to the fly) that accounts for an early fish.
I will be making up some devons over the coming weeks to give them a swim this season....will be nice to hopefully catch one on a homemade minnow.
Tight lines to all Avon rods for 2020.
Sean

sneakypeter

Reaction score
It will be interesting, the current highwater would appear to be from ground water, the aquafers are topped right up, a high water level may well last for sometime, without any further top ups. The water is very clear, highly unusual at this time of year, but does make the fly a very good option, especially if the water temperature stays up.
peter

Isisalar

Reaction score
I'll certainly be giving the devons a swim this year after get equipped last year and finding that by May 15th there wasn't enough flow to move the lead or spin the devon.
I've got 30ft of T17 to play with and won't be leaving the fly gear in the car though
Biggest dilemma in Feb/March will be Roach or Salmon?
3lb Roach is almost as desirable as a 20lb+ Salmon so having to split effort will be a difficult choice.

Plan to, together with some Woodmill refugees, have a go at the Clay pool for the Sea Trout.
Anyone with any information on best tide timings, fly and spinner patterns etc, we'd be very grateful.
Happy New year.
Tight lines

Last edited:

HantsAvon

Reaction score
I used to fish in the harbour a lot for the sea trout years ago. Mainly fished during the day with the spinning rod......mepp no.5 was the usual spinner of choice. Silver and blue dotted or gold and red dotted. Also used to use a wye lead (or similar) to help get the bait down.
Also fly fished at night (and during the day) and my best fish were taken during daylight hours. Used to use elver snake flies and my best was a 6.5lb fish taken on a sunny afternoon in July! I remember I lost an even bigger fish a few days later after having it on for a while....after several acrobatic leaps it threw the hook....reckon it was 8lb+. Used to use a multi-tip fly line...think it was called the Rio Anadromous and usually used the faster sinking tip.
I found the best time was when the tide was on the ebb.....the run off from first high to second high and the ebb following the second high tide.
To cover various spots in the harbour, you really need a boat (and a couple of mud weights)!
Definitely worth a go, as some of the fish you see jumping clear of the water are of an impressive size.
One thing to bear in mind if fishing during the day is the boat traffic, especially at high water.....a sunny Summer day does bring out water craft of all shapes and sizes!
Hope this helps....
Sean

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Not long now, the river remains out in the fields, but dropping slowly, good clarity , the weed remnants will have been scoured out, the pools will be relatively easy to fish, always assuming you can get near enough to fish some of the best options. I will venture out on the !st, more in hope than expectation, but nothing ventured and all that.
peter

sneakypeter

Reaction score
A very large amount of caution will be needed, the banks may well be dangerous in many places, undercuts may well be very dodgy, coupled with a slippery top , just stay well back from the edge, not only for safety, but the fish, if there are any? will likely be close in and in shallower water!
peter

Joe90

Reaction score
I’m a bit late to the party but have taken a salmon rod on the Avon this year. The river looks to be in great shape to encourage a few fish up so fingers crossed for a good season. Sounds like last year was tough so I’m not getting my hopes up but like a challenge. I plan to fly fish as much as I can, any tips on flies etc very welcome. Tight lines for 2020 on the Avon chaps.

Lew21

Reaction score
Hi Joe,

I'm inexperienced myself but the group on the Avon are particularly helpful in sharing their knowledge. I started to catch the odd fish when told to ensure I was dragging the bottom (I use at least 15' of T14, a 3' 25lb+ leader and a 2" ali tube). They will rise when the water temp exceed c.10 degrees, but that is what's worked for me. Good luck!

HantsAvon

Reaction score
Big, black and yellow seems to be popular Joe!
As Lew mentions, you'll need to get the fly down, as the Avon has some deep pools and Avon fish tend to hug the bottom.
I started using the Rio GameChanger lines last year and they seemed to work well with a length of T material on the end or the Rio MOW tips.
Most anglers will be helpful and point you in the right direction.
Which beat/beats are you fishing?
Sean

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Hi Joe,
Welcome to the ever hopefuls that make up Avon salmon anglers, they are not hard to catch, just very hard to find. As for fly,s, anything big and bold will get a response, black and yellow is a good start, but put in a fluoro pink tag and you are half way there (works for me!). dredging the deep pools is not necessarily the best tactic, most of the early fish can be in shallow water, pool tails, often 6 ft or less, and very close in, especially in the current conditions, but never say never, they can, and will hold in the most unlikely looking places, fish it all, and just trust your instincts!
peter

Tony M

Reaction score
Good luck to those venturing out on the 1st, if you're using the M3/M27 from London be aware that the M27 is closed for a short section over the weekend with diversions in place. Tony

Joe90

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers guys. I will get my vice out and see what I can produce. I mainly tie trout flies but have a load of salmon stuff that was given to me so may as well use it.
I’ve taken a rod on Avon and Tyrell, looks like a lot of water to explore which is half the fun. Anyone else fish A&T?
Maybe see you one or two of you on the bank, give me a shout and I will come and take the photo 😉

HantsAvon

Reaction score
Water level is dropping very slowly, but still too flooded for Bisterne tomorrow, so I will venture up to Somerley with a devon minnow and snag a few tree branches no doubt!
Tight lines if you're braving the elements.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
See you there Sean, bringing the fly stuff, whether it gets used is another matter, the rise in temperature might be enough to make any fish present willing to come up for a fly? the Devon might seem the best bet, time will tell
peter

PeterRoss

Reaction score
Happy New fishing season to all Avon Optimists! Look forward to reading news and sharing experiences . Let's hope the perfect conditions we should see in the coming weeks will produce some results. Michael

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Well the first flooded meadows work out was not a success for me or anyone else, but the river was looking amazing, very clear, raging through as it always used too. A good number of rods were out, with a lot of the pools fished by both fly and devons/spinners, early days, can only get better, especially with a drop in levels, but not that likely for some time too come.
peter

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Just where these early fish might be is any ones guess, with the high water, they could easily head on past Salisbury, finding one of a handful would be a right result, that's a lot of water!!!!!!

PeterRoss

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the spikes in fish numbers on the counter in Nov and Dec? Levels seem to be falling nicely for the weekend, well for Saturday anyway!

sewinfly

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the spikes in fish numbers on the counter in Nov and Dec? Levels seem to be falling nicely for the weekend, well for Saturday anyway!
Do they have Blue backs on the Avon at all.
Some people say they were a myth but a river I know had a run of them during those months.
The guys use to watch them come in ang going over a small weir .

Enter the river, run it,spawn then head back out to sea.

Sewinfly. .............

LouisCha

Reaction score
Sea trout? Quite a few fresh late running ST were caught by royalty coarse fishers around then. It could also be salmon/sea trout that arrived earlier in the year and remained dormant downstream of knapp mill until it was spawning time.

Isisalar

Reaction score
Do they have Blue backs on the Avon at all.
Some people say they were a myth but a river I know had a run of them during those months.
The guys use to watch them come in ang going over a small weir .

Enter the river, run it,spawn then head back out to sea.

Sewinfly. .............
Where is this counter to be found?

PeterRoss

Reaction score
Knapp Mill Fish Counter

small "recent data" link on right hand side of page

I dont think anybody believes the numbers themselves are meaningful, just an indication of whether or not fish are moving into the river as a guide of activity