Gweebarra.

Salmom Laker

Reaction score
The Lackagh is a bit of a heart breaker, it is a short river with not much fly water, on the good side its rarely colours up in a flood so its always worth a throw great runs of seatrout the last few seasons.i normally fish it from March to May hoping for springer which have been in short supply in my case anyway. Its a nice spot and can get a good run of fish haven't seen any fish pass figures but I get the impression numbers have improved over the past two seasons plus there is always the possibility of larger than average fish I haven't met any myself but seen large fish showing and some members have caught and photographed mid teens decent by any standards

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
John thanks for joining the conversation. Do you know that for sure or are you just saying. No licence surely they can but why would the IfI ask for a permit. I have had my licence checked a few times. When offered to show the permit (not on the Gweebarra) they have said they did not care about that. I now live in Edinburgh so no plan to poach the river just interested in the facts. Caught my first salmon on the river so close to my heart. My mum was born in Churchill so spent most of my summers chasing sheep and cutting peats on the surrounding hills. I had hoped to fish but my uncles knew better.

nitro2012

Reaction score
I now have the letterkenny district licence and will purchase a permit on the occasions i decide to go last thing i want is my gear confiscated 😯

Last edited:

Salmom Laker

Reaction score
That's a interesting point re permit viewing rights. It probably depends on the relationship between the IFI and the local club. I know that on the Lackagh you need to have club membership and also an annual permit from the IFI in Ballyshannon to fish legally - I presume the IFI officers could ask you for proof of that permit given they have issued it. I've always surrendered both without being asked.

reddie

Reaction score
Counter figures for 2018

https://www.fisheriesireland.ie/ext...ual-fishcounter-summary-report-2018/file.html

The Lackagh is a bit of a heart breaker, it is a short river with not much fly water, on the good side its rarely colours up in a flood so its always worth a throw great runs of seatrout the last few seasons.i normally fish it from March to May hoping for springer which have been in short supply in my case anyway. Its a nice spot and can get a good run of fish haven't seen any fish pass figures but I get the impression numbers have improved over the past two seasons plus there is always the possibility of larger than average fish I haven't met any myself but seen large fish showing and some members have caught and photographed mid teens decent by any standards

nitro2012

Reaction score
A few pics from a few weeks back of the gweebarra and lough barra. Good numbers of fish running the river this year am told and a few caught whilst i was there. A day permit is €40 and a one day state rod licence is €23 so the €63 fee for a days fishing there gave me second thoughts. maybe am wrong and the rivers worth that money but it comes across a bit steep.

Attachments

Slaneybs

Reaction score
A few pics from a few weeks back of the gweebarra and lough barra. Good numbers of fish running the river this year am told and a few caught whilst i was there. A day permit is €40 and a one day state rod licence is €23 so the €63 fee for a days fishing there gave me second thoughts. maybe am wrong and the rivers worth that money but it comes across a bit steep.
Great photos thanks.
A day on a spate river like that if there are a few fish about and not too many rods out is good value at €40.
The problem is that a one day state licence is always going to make fishing expensive. An annual full licence for the whole country for a year is €100 which is much better value but isnt much use if you are a tourist just out for a single day. The 21 day licence is €40 which would be good if you are here for a week or more.

nitro2012

Reaction score
Great photos thanks.
A day on a spate river like that if there are a few fish about and not too many rods out is good value at €40.
The problem is that a one day state licence is always going to make fishing expensive. An annual full licence for the whole country for a year is €100 which is much better value but isnt much use if you are a tourist just out for a single day. The 21 day licence is €40 which would be good if you are here for a week or more.
Yes your probley right and i might yet take a day ticket shortly. Alot of hiking involved there was 3 cars belonging to anglers parked up the day i was there i walked at least a mile before i came across one of the anglers so id think you would have alot of river to yourself.

nitro2012

Reaction score
Not to cause any offence but its a brown tag river and if he has a brown tag in his possession he's well within his rights don't think the one or two fish he takes will matter compared to what the legal and illegal nets take from that wee river.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Not too sure on the local politics but if he's within the rules then there's really no gripe. Other than May be he's successful where others aren't.

That seems to be the main issue on most waters and non locals tend to bare the brunt of those that are easily upset.

Not always mind some just aren't happy no matter who's catching just because they aren't.

luney

Reaction score
I've recently discovered Mr Bonhurst on you tube. He does take fish but have seen him return fish also. His catch and release method may not be the best but there you go. It might be the fact that his videos attract unwanted anglers from further a field that upsets the local lads. Just sayin like..

luney

Reaction score
He's done a video about half an hour long about the history of the river about the legal battle between the locals and the land owner regards fishing rights. Very interesting watching, and the lass singing on it has a great voice.

luney

Reaction score
River is poached to death. Are the legal nets still in operation as well?
I dont think there's a river in Donegal that isnt Aiden. I used to give my family a lift pulling nets up there when I was a young fella. I knew no better then and the fish weren't sold ate by the people of the townlands.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Yes offered sea trout for sale in the pub in the town. Not by the landlord before I get barred! Caught them netting the Mayo pool one morning and found a net across the river at the lake many years ago. All very sad. Not fished it since the dispute. Great river destroyed by greed and idiots.

nitro2012

Reaction score
Think am going to take the plunge and fish this wee river soon. although have been told story's about visiting anglers getting there cars damaged so that is maybe something to be concerned about.

nitro2012

Reaction score
He's done a video about half an hour long about the history of the river about the legal battle between the locals and the land owner regards fishing rights. Very interesting watching, and the lass singing on it has a great voice.
Is it a recent video have you a link for it please.

luney

Reaction score
No bother Slaneysider(y)(y) I don't think I could have done the link thing anyway :LOL: