Gweebarra.

Salmom Laker

Reaction score
smallish and shrimpy - currys, bann special and such. Timing is the biggest challenge on the Gweebara - well that and the beat system

nitro2012

Reaction score
Thanks for reply salmon laker do you know how the brown tag system works as I've been told to check before taken a day ticket that they have tags cause if not its c&r.

Last edited:

tangles

Reaction score
Hi
I fished it last summer and lost two on it in a Few hours
They both came to cascades
The guy in the shop in Doochary gives you a brown tag
I gave it back
I wouldn’t of used it anyway .......
I fished a good bit of it and never met an angler
I did meet some fisheries guys checking tickets which was for me a first !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitro2012

Reaction score
Hi
I fished it last summer and lost two on it in a Few hours
They both came to cascades
The guy in the shop in Doochary gives you a brown tag
I gave it back
I wouldn’t of used it anyway .......
I fished a good bit of it and never met an angler
I did meet some fisheries guys checking tickets which was for me a first !

What month did you fish it and what was the conditions cheers.

Middle Bay

Reaction score
I fished this river once about 25 years ago when on holiday in early June. Locals told me it was free? I accessed the river from a long rough track. The water was at a good height and only I only encountered two other anglers who were both worming a big pool below a falls. Not far down from there I caught a sea liced 8 pounder on a small shrimp fly. Lovely wee river. Also tried the estuary for sea trout but never caught anything although I did see and hear fish jumping. I hope you enjoy the fishing as much as I did.

Salmom Laker

Reaction score
It would have been free 25 years ago. July can be a good month if you get water. I think you have a chance almost any time in the right water right trough to the end of the season. Last time I fished it was about three of four years ago in April got nothing myself but witnessed a nice wee springer of about 7lb being caught and returned. Its a lovely wee river with plenty of good fly water. Cascade of course should always be ready to hand a great fly anywhere, sunray shadow another one I think water is more important on the Gweebarra than fly- this talk has put me in a wild notion of it.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
I have not fished it since the dispute. Stoats tail, shrimp flies and always a teal blue and silver. You will be surprised how many salmon take the teal blue and silver. Fishes well when up and will fish in all heights even over the banks. Is the dispute over and everyone happy? I had heard the IFI had lost their case but will not go back until I know it is resolved. Completely different river and fish from the Finn yet the rivers are not that far from each other. I guess they both flow in different directions.

Salmom Laker

Reaction score
I think the dispute is settled but I just hate fishing a beat system anywhere - I'd rather roam - nitro if you do give it a rattle let us know how you get on

nitro2012

Reaction score
I think the dispute is settled but I just hate fishing a beat system anywhere - I'd rather roam - nitro if you do give it a rattle let us know how you get on
Yes i certainly will am hoping to fish there once a month in june july and August.

Last edited:

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
I agree. The beats are just crazy. I have walked from the town to the lake in a day. I will not do it again as I nearly died in chest waders. But in big water it was good from the lake to the upper falls. Then walk out to the road!!! Never met a living soul. Lower water from the town up to just above the first falls (above the Mayo pool). Would meet the occasional angler but never over fished (except Good Friday and that is because the pubs are closed). No water fish the pool if windy, if not do sea trout in the estuary. Never got a salmon in the estuary but had biblical numbers of sea trout (nearly all returned). Whoever came up with the beats clearly can't or does not fish. It is not the Tweed. I had understood nobody actually stuck to the beat system. I pay to fish the Finn so have no problems with a charge, but I know how much it upset the locals so will not go back unless you are welcomed.

Salmom Laker

Reaction score
That's spot on Aiden - also that's some dander with or without chest waders! I've often wondered why no one or very few seem to fish the lough. The locals often say that the first springers to arrive run straight to the lough in high water you'd think they be catchable if its true. Its a great place to fish above the falls beautiful and not a house to be seen.

nitro2012

Reaction score
That's spot on Aiden - also that's some dander with or without chest waders! I've often wondered why no one or very few seem to fish the lough. The locals often say that the first springers to arrive run straight to the lough in high water you'd think they be catchable if its true. Its a great place to fish above the falls beautiful and not a house to be seen.
Will be heading to walk the river within the next few weeks just to know where to go and where to park havent fished the river before so i want a feel of it before i head to fish in the summer. I'll hopefully upload some photos of the walk.

ceide

Reaction score
I don’t believe that the beat system is operational - have fished it over the last few years - just bought the ticket, got the brown tag and headed off. No mention about a beat system, nor have I ever been challenged.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Nitro be careful when walking in the upper bog. I am not trying to scare you, but there are sink holes. As long as you keep your wits about you they are quite obvious. So stay away from the holes containing water. Never saw any next the river but on the walk in and out you can come across them. Do not expect clear banks and short grass. It can be a real jungle! We have had a few fish out of the lough. They are generally bigger that the average river fish, so likely not to be Grilse! Lake is stuffed full of small brown trout (0.5 lb) but surprisingly few sea trout given the number in the lower river.

nitro2012

Reaction score
Nitro be careful when walking in the upper bog. I am not trying to scare you, but there are sink holes. As long as you keep your wits about you they are quite obvious. So stay away from the holes containing water. Never saw any next the river but on the walk in and out you can come across them. Do not expect clear banks and short grass. It can be a real jungle! We have had a few fish out of the lough. They are generally bigger that the average river fish, so likely not to be Grilse! Lake is stuffed full of small brown trout (0.5 lb) but surprisingly few sea trout given the number in the lower river.
Thanks aidan for the heads up. I have been told its a fair bit of walking over rough terrain so kind of prepared for the worst.

tangles

Reaction score
No beat system when I was on it
I had the run of it last August
Maybe I went rogue!

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Thanks Tangles that is what I was told by two guys in the Pub in Doochery. Who would police it!

tangles

Reaction score
Yeah
That said I did have my state license checked
Which I was a first in about 25 years .....

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
I do not mind that, did they ask to see your permit as well? I do not think they have the authority to do that?!

Salmom Laker

Reaction score
I've been fishing the lackagh for the last three or four years and have had my licence checked at least once a season and sometimes twice - before then I'd never had mine checked good to see really they seem to keep a close eye on the lackagh

nitro2012

Reaction score
Salmon laker whats the lackagh like to fish. I took a walk long the river last spring looks a small river.

Last edited: