Guideline vs SAGE

Geordieboy

Reaction score
So then.
I've got all SAGE rods. 7 to 10 was.
Ive just bought a SAGE Igniter 13'6 8wt.

Today I fished the river EDEN, very low, but the gentleman from a local shop brought loads of tackle down for me to try.

An 11ft ELEVATION 8/9 just flew out. Easy as chips.
A 13'9" 9/10 NT8 needed learning but it too..... cast lovely.
Sage Igniter...... I couldn't work it. It was hard work. I'm not proficient at casting, but my METHOD Switch rod cast a better line..... easier.

As the day went on, I cast the NT8 more. It cast easy. The more I worked it, the further it went. It flew!

I think I'm in a learning curve with the Igniter. I'll have to learn it.

But one things for sure.... the NT8 allowed me to consistently cast over 40yds..... with a straight forward snap t or single Spey.......

Great fishing rods those guidelines.....

rs2ford

Reaction score
When I cast the Igniter 8136 for the first time my initial thoughts were, this is going to take a bit of time to get used to, but only a few casts later the line was flying out. It is does require good timing but sings when you do. The NT8 is probably more medium action compared to the Sage and no doubt more forgiving. If the Guideline rods suit your casting style then stick with them, or alternatively work on your casting to get the best of the Sage. Better presentation will ultimately get you more takes so don't get hung up on one brand if another suits you better.
Cheers Diarmid.

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
So then.
I've got all SAGE rods. 7 to 10 was.
Ive just bought a SAGE Igniter 13'6 8wt.

Today I fished the river EDEN, very low, but the gentleman from a local shop brought loads of tackle down for me to try.

An 11ft ELEVATION 8/9 just flew out. Easy as chips.
A 13'9" 9/10 NT8 needed learning but it too..... cast lovely.
Sage Igniter...... I couldn't work it. It was hard work. I'm not proficient at casting, but my METHOD Switch rod cast a better line..... easier.

As the day went on, I cast the NT8 more. It cast easy. The more I worked it, the further it went. It flew!

I think I'm in a learning curve with the Igniter. I'll have to learn it.

But one things for sure.... the NT8 allowed me to consistently cast over 40yds..... with a straight forward snap t or single Spey.......

Great fishing rods those guidelines.....
What lines did you try on the igniter? I'm really surprised that you are struggling with that rod, as it's the easiest to cast out of the igniters.

FCH

Geordieboy

Reaction score
What lines did you try on the igniter? I'm really surprised that you are struggling with that rod, as it's the easiest to cast out of the igniters.

FCH
8/9 Rio Versitip and 15ft intermediate.

But I believe I need more practice with the rod.

But boy...... that NT8 was easy....

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I can assure you that 9/10 would be far too heavy on that rod as it originally belonged to me. 9/10 + is not one size up!!

Rennie

Reaction score
I've not long since acquired a Guideline NT8 in 13FT 9 4 piece 9/10. I'm a bit of a Guideline fan owning several different rods and as I'm not getting to spend time with it as such I'm slightly struggling with it initially.Now it has its intended 570grn. Airflo Scandi Long on the reel for it's sole delectation I feel I'm getting places with it. Wasn't as easy right out of the tube as I imagined it might be, but if I can get a couple of solid days under the belt with it I'm sure it'll be fine!.
I know I've found personally I've to put time in with some rods and getting somewhere with them often creeps up on you rather than straight out of the blocks at full pelt from the off.
Pedro.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I fished the Eden yesterday with my SAGE ONE 8136. Lovely rod to cast and fish with easy to throw the line 25yds when needed.
I wanted the Igniter for heavier conditions, windy/sinking tips. To help bridge the gap between the 14ft METHOD and the SAGE ONE.
The SAGE METHOD 9140, I have really helped me in a 30mph northerly a couple of months ago. But that rod suits a 10wt line. I fished a RIO Versitip 10wt on the METHOD and was just about beating the wind.

Perseverance and practice casting..... if I can find a river near me.

Kin36

Reaction score
Biggest rod regret getting rid of my sage method 14 ft. Great rod in bad conditions. The Guideline NT8 13.9 9/10 also casts the gaelforce 9/10 spey line 63ft really well. Quite a surprise given it has a scandi feel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geordieboy

Reaction score
So then. Joy of Joys.
Nirvana. Sex, whatever you wish to call it, it was a simple joy when I finally figured out the Igniter tonight.
I popped on a RIO 8/9 AFS (i'd forgot I had) and 10ft poly and leader but my loops were still open and I wasn't getting the anchor. :confused:

So I just kept roll casting to review the D loop behind me and noticed that the rod simply wasn't working on the back cast. The grass was wet so I reverted to some snap T's and started to bend it a little. Now as this was on grass and I wasn't getting the anchor, I snap T'd the line behind me instead of to the side. Rolling the line back and lifting I felt the rod and hammered it. It flew like a bullet but the loop was collapsing.:rolleyes:

So doing the same again, I slowed it down, and could feel the rod bend. Unlike my Methods which like a good wallop, this rod likes you to speed it up. The result?...... 30+yds...... time after time. Beautiful graceful loops.:)
I changed to the 575 grain skagit and poly, and adopting the relaxed compress of the rod.....WHAM!!! It hit the stops on the reel. I pulled more line off and WHAM. 35yds. Its worth noting that I have John Norris's own shooting line. Thick and stiff and doesn't tangle. I reckon that with some Guideline Mono, this would pop 40yds every time on water.

Moving onto the RAGE 570grain and Poly was a joy. It just kept tight loops and cast like mad. 😄

The biggest nuance was, I cast it with a single Spey, and it went over 40yds. So I did it again, and again, and again. With an airbourne anchor, being more achievable than a grass born one, it was just a joy to see it smash the reel everytime.

I now have my 9 weight. And all I can add to this is, it is simply wonderful to cast once you master it. :love:

I am officially now in Love.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
So then. Joy of Joys.
Nirvana. Sex, whatever you wish to call it, it was a simple joy when I finally figured out the Igniter tonight.
I popped on a RIO 8/9 AFS (i'd forgot I had) and 10ft poly and leader but my loops were still open and I wasn't getting the anchor. :confused:

So I just kept roll casting to review the D loop behind me and noticed that the rod simply wasn't working on the back cast. The grass was wet so I reverted to some snap T's and started to bend it a little. Now as this was on grass and I wasn't getting the anchor, I snap T'd the line behind me instead of to the side. Rolling the line back and lifting I felt the rod and hammered it. It flew like a bullet but the loop was collapsing.:rolleyes:

So doing the same again, I slowed it down, and could feel the rod bend. Unlike my Methods which like a good wallop, this rod likes you to speed it up. The result?...... 30+yds...... time after time. Beautiful graceful loops.:)
I changed to the 575 grain skagit and poly, and adopting the relaxed compress of the rod.....WHAM!!! It hit the stops on the reel. I pulled more line off and WHAM. 35yds. Its worth noting that I have John Norris's own shooting line. Thick and stiff and doesn't tangle. I reckon that with some Guideline Mono, this would pop 40yds every time on water.

Moving onto the RAGE 570grain and Poly was a joy. It just kept tight loops and cast like mad. 😄

The biggest nuance was, I cast it with a single Spey, and it went over 40yds. So I did it again, and again, and again. With an airbourne anchor, being more achievable than a grass born one, it was just a joy to see it smash the reel everytime.

I now have my 9 weight. And all I can add to this is, it is simply wonderful to cast once you master it. :love:

I am officially now in Love.
Good to hear, I am a sage fan and I really love my short spey Sage X 11" rod and love the Sage 13' 6" ONE I fished for salmon last June.

Once I got it dialed in and got a bit of practice it was great. 40 yards all day long. I am looking at the 14' 9wt 6 piece igniter, for travel to and around Europe and hopefully I`ll get back to Alaska someday. It has good reviews, but not a cheap bit of kit for sure, I find that buyers remorse is much more painful in more expensive rods if it doesn't work out.