Guideline TPac Switch 8/9 - Line recommendations

jonothan

Reaction score
Guideline TPac LXI Switch 8/9 - Line recommendations

Hi

Just got one of these from Norris's , would appreciate ant info on the right lines.

I also would like a skagit recommendation or Switch Chucker for Canada.

Many thanks

Jono

Last edited:

pfeul

Reaction score
I have the 6/7 for a while now.
It works well with shooting heads in the weight range indicated on the rod.

I would not be surprised to be the same with the 8/9.

Eminem

Reaction score
Line weights/windows are stamped onto the butt section of your rod. Stick to them. Mine work a treat for my #7/8 LXi switch.

Reaction score
Just remember that Guideline switch rods are rated for trout AFTMA weight lines, not salmon ones. Eminem's advice is as good as any.

Eminem

Reaction score
I'd contact Guideline to enquire about skagit recommendations. There's nothing online about line weights for this rod but it does state a skagit set-up can be used.

pfeul

Reaction score
Here's the answer on guideline website in 2015

"The 6/7 weight rod makes a great tool for Brown Trout or fishing for smaller grilse sized Salmon. The 7/8 weight rod is very useful as an allrounder for both larger, migratory Browns and for Sea Trout and medium sized Salmon. This rod loves a Compact 7/8 line set up. The 8/9 weight rod is powerful and handles Scandi lines in weights from 21 grams and performs superb with a 24 gram Scandi or Multi Tip Switch line. For short Skagit heads, weights up around the 20-22 gram/320-350 grains mark + tip are a great option."

LXi T-Pac (New) : Guideline

Rrrr

Reaction score
I spoke to guideline about shooting head suggestions for my laxa switch this week and they reccomended their compact head to suit. I messaged them on facebook and they got back to me pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

leo

Reaction score
I have this rod. I asked the shop and they recommended an 8 weight Rio Scandi versitip short (a lot heavier than the recommended line weight). I tried this in a strong wind and it worked ok with sustained anchor casts with the rod heavily loaded. However, I found it too heavy. I emailed Guideline and they also advised a heavy load (29 grams). I then tried a line at the higher end of the recommended grain weight written on the rod (but a lot lighter than the other lines) -a Barrio switch 6/7 and find it a perfect match. I fish it with a 10 foot polyleader. I find the Barrio is able to give good presentation while at the same time handle a reasonably windy day. People with different casting styles may prefer different weights but as said by everyone so far in this thread it seems a good idea to be guided by what’s written on the blank (and on the Guideline website).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have this rod. I asked the shop and they recommended an 8 weight Rio Scandi versitip short (a lot heavier than the recommended line weight). I tried this in a strong wind and it worked ok with sustained anchor casts with the rod heavily loaded. However, I found it too heavy.
No wonder! The shop assistant must have assumed the rod was rated for salmon lines. The 8 weight Scandi is, I think, about 31 grams and would only work with a very relaxed, sustained anchor cast. Of course, the Rio Versitip is a very expensive line and no doubt profitable for the shop (which really ought to take the Versitip back as quite inappropriate for the rod).
I am surprised Guideline advised a 29 gram head when the rod says something much lighter is appropriate- but I have had bad advice from manufacturers before now. As you say, be guided by what's on the blank and the website. The Barrio line looks to be the right weight for your rod; it's worth checking the head weight on Mike Barrio's website before buying because his ratings are a bit different from most, in my experience.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I think im going to give mile barrio a shout about reccomendations for my rod as for the money his lines are hard to beat. I use the iss on my lpxe and it goes like a rocket with little to no effort.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

leo

Reaction score
Frankspeycaster

Thanks for your concern RE: Rio SSVT line. I had one anyway for another rod (but the shop wouldn’t have known that at the time). I agree -it seems it can be confusing with no uniform line weight system for switch rods with some being rated for salmon lines and others being rated for trout lines. It’s a good job there is a recommended range of grams/grains making it easier to interpret.

Last edited:

Paul White

Reaction score
If your Switch rod is rated for salmon (most are), then use the same numbered SSVT. If it is rated for trout then go down 3 numbers on the SSVT, i.e if the trout rod is rated 7/8 use a #5 SSVT