Guideline "Reach" model rods from Glasgow Angling Centre

azmoghal

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Guideline "Reach" model double handers? They seem to be available only through Glasgow Angling Centre) and I was curious to find out more about them and their performance. I haven't been able to find any reviews... (It seems a bit doubtful that a whole production line would set up for one retail outlet so maybe they're marketed under different model names too...)...
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Petekd

Reaction score
I have the 9/10, it’s a nicer outfit than my #10 Hardy Marksman 2s that was my go to for heavier stuff at a fraction of the cost. I like it. I’d be interested too if anyone has any other info on them.

azmoghal

Reaction score
thanks PeteKd

I have the 9/10, it’s a nicer outfit than my #10 Hardy Marksman 2s that was my go to for heavier stuff at a fraction of the cost. I like it. I’d be interested too if anyone has any other info on them.

Only just saw your reply now - thanks for the info.

AM

Sniper

Reaction score
Seemingly they have exclusive rights to sell this model, website quotes : The Guideline Reach is exclusive to Glasgow Angling Centre, so you'll only find it here. The Reach is available in 2 models which will cover a wide array of scenarios; a 13ft7in #9/10 and a 14ft8in #10/11. Both rods are great for the wide range of calssic and modern casting styles at the modern Salmon angler's disposal. Comes supplied in a protective rod sock and cordura tube.

Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but has anyone used one for a season and what is the verdict? Is it a med fast rod? Any good or bad qualities? Tia

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

gmm

Reaction score
its a fast tippy rod, the quality of it it right up with the best,whippings/real seat corks etc. used it first with a sierra prolonged s/head at 40 gm was really well balanced,now have a rage floater 660 with a 10ft fast sink tip on it and it is amazing just how little effort it takes to put out a long line, seems the less effort the better, let the action of the rod do the work, glad i grabbed one when they were on offer,absolute bargain

mccormco

Reaction score
I’ve just seen that John Norris are now ‘exclusively’ selling the reach rods. I’m currently looking for a double handed outfit for my brother. He has little or no experience with double handed rods and initially I was thinking the new stoked 12’ #7/8. I’ve since seen however that the reach rods and reels are 50% off on John Norris and could get a rod and reel for a pretty good price. I know the stoked range are designed with beginners in mind but does anyone have any advice on the suitability of the reach for a novice? It’s difficult to ignore the price reductions...!
Cheers

Andrew B

Reaction score
I’ve just seen that John Norris are now ‘exclusively’ selling the reach rods. I’m currently looking for a double handed outfit for my brother. He has little or no experience with double handed rods and initially I was thinking the new stoked 12’ #7/8. I’ve since seen however that the reach rods and reels are 50% off on John Norris and could get a rod and reel for a pretty good price. I know the stoked range are designed with beginners in mind but does anyone have any advice on the suitability of the reach for a novice? It’s difficult to ignore the price reductions...!
Cheers
posted a similar thing about these rods? Seems they’re an old rod but I’m guessing they would be far better than the Stoked. I’ve got a Stoked for sea trout and I’m not overly impressed with it.

gmm

Reaction score
from the pics i've seen on jn site the blanks are a different colour, matt green on my one and the handle is slightly different too, , as a useful rod its a winner,if its the same blanks but a different finish, i would grab one as the action really suited my lazy style of casting, but thats the 14 ft 8 ,to me a rod is a tool and if it works to my suiting its a winner no matter what the finish, this one had both looks and action

TayRaider

Reaction score
I have a reach reel, a 7/8 I bought planning to use with a single hander but it is very small. Ended up using it with a 5wt rod/line

It’s a nice enough reel, £60/70 is the right money for it though - not the £100+ rrp. It seems to me like a budget version of their Favo.

As for the rods not sure, I have seen quite a few people speak well of the bundles that come with a Favo reel (maybe they call the rods Laxas?)