Guideline power taper scandi F/H/I - polyleader or not?

transporti686

Reaction score
Is here anybody who use this shooting head? Do you use tapered polyleaders or only mono tippet with this head? Many thanks.

HMarquis

Reaction score
Use this line alot in spring and autumn. I use it with 10ft 5ips or 7ips poly tips, then attach the tippet. Turns over the fly nicely

porteouz

Reaction score
Both. 10ft polys with 5-6 feet of mono on my 15 footer or if fishing nearer the surface 12 foot taper leader with 5-6 feet of mono. I find I need to slow down to much without them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rennie

Reaction score
Thing is, this type of line is a very very versatile line for this time of year(were we all allowed out to be using it!).
Coupled to a fluro. tapered leader or an inty. poly tip, it'll give as near as damn a full intermediate line presentation, with a touch of ability to mend/control.
However switching to quicker sinking polys will give the ability to gain depth more if needed.
Like I say at this time of the year its a line I'm happy to have on the rod all day long.
I tend towards Power tapers in F/S1 for this and sometime the Hover/Inty. which is a touch slower at the tip(only a tadge though) but beats the surface drift better, also factor in the Triple D,F/H/Inty for this line of thinking too!
Bear in mind the Guideline Inty. is a fraction slower than the S1, a subtle difference that can be exploited quite usefully!
Tight lines, Pedro.

transporti686

Reaction score
Many thanks to all. I want to use this line for swinging small wet flies or small weighted wet flies. Target is chub on Danube river. Fly rod is 12ft long and head is 34,5ft long. Is this length of head good for this rod?

Last edited:

Sewinboy

Reaction score
I use this line cut down to fish on an 8 weight and a 9 weight rod. Your line sounds the right length for your rod, but you should also consider the weight of the line as well. In high water, I tend to just use 9 feet, or 3 meters of level nylon for my leader.

When the river starts to fall and presentation starts to become more important, I use a tapered fluorocarbon leader to a leader ring. I use aquasure on all knots. I then use a 4 or 5 foot, 1.5 meter length of nylon or fluorocarbon from the leader ring to the fly. The tapered leader really helps with the leader landing straight, so that the fly lands at maximum distance from the end of the fly line and starts fishing immediately.

transporti686

Reaction score
Many thanks to all. Could I use Guideline power taper scandi F/H/S1 head for overhead casting with 12ft fly rod?

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
You can, but as it’s a relatively heavy ‘shooting head’ -you’ll find you’ll definitely need a false cast or some kind of roll to lift the line from the water first before attempting the over head cast. I have a 11 ft switch with 8/9 f/h/s1 and sometimes overhead cast with that - to do that all day will put a bead on your forehead!!

Last edited:

transporti686

Reaction score
The false cast or roll it, before final cast, is no problem. I have GD power taper scandi F/H/S1 7/8 417grains, but it seems, that head is too light for my Shakespeare oracle spey 12ft 7/8 fly rod.