Guideline LXi - T-Pac or Mackenzie DTX Atlas?

Petch94

Reaction score
Hi
I was hoping to get some advice, I'm looking at getting a six piece rod 9/10# around 14ft that packs down small to do most my large river fishing but also to use on a smallish spate river I fish in the Lake District. I have a switch rod and a 15ft rod for the extremes either end. I'm not in a position to spend a fortune so as much as I'd like a Graphene DTX it isn't on the cards unfortunately. My search has lead me to the Lxi-T-Pac or the old model DTX Atlas.

I was wondering if anyone had any views on either of these options or if you think I have overlooked another contender?

Thanks in advance

Will

sgellert

Reaction score
The Guideline NT8 are 6 piece, they might be a little over the budget, but sometimes demo models and such are on sale.
I have 12.9 and 13.9, both #8/9 , nice rods.
The T-pac would probably be considerably cheaper though.

Gpu

Reaction score
Hi Will,

I have the lxi t-pac 9/10 for exactly the reason you state as it’s good on luggage for planes etc...useful atm...

It’s a cracking rod, a little softer than the lpxe but a better fishing tool IMO. I use it with the guideline scandi heads and they fly.

Last edited:

nickolas

Reaction score
Comparing the t-pack against the Dtx I would say the t-pack would handle a greater range of lines and also heavier flies. I bought the rod for mainly as a back up when travelling, 2019 I took it to Alaska for kings and it handled them very well and fished skagit lines with tungsten tips. It’s probably not as nice to fish with as the Dtx with a AFS but will handle everything I have asked it to do, it will always go with me as a back up.

Last edited:

rotenone

Reaction score
The Tpac is my favourite rod that guideline have designed, it bends deeper then many models it has a very user friendly action deep and powerful but fast recovery its not as tippy as many guidelines, they did a great job with that rod series

Petch94

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice, I've just bought a T-Pac 9/10 which I'm hoping will pair nicely with my Lamson Litespeed g5. I hope I'll get chance to get out on the river with it before too long...

Reactions: Gpu