Guideline lxi 12ft9in 8/9

Fons

Reaction score
I use the switch version : LXI 11ft6 #7/8. I love the rod because it feels so light in the hand and because overhead casting is nice and easy. BUT it took me some time to accept that the grain window of this rod is lower than what I expected from a 7/8. Best casting results I get with integrated scandi lines around 350 grains combined with trout polyleader. So I tend to consider my rod being a 6/7.
Do not pretend same thing is occurring on their longer spey rods. Maybe worth doing some trial casting before to be certain you get what you're looking for.

rotenone

Reaction score
It's fast, and powerful if you like that you won't be disappointed, I found the tpac versions much superior rods they load deeper and are more forgiving

lefthandup

Reaction score
I've got the t-pac 12'9 and I find it best with a 600 or 650 skagit, it's a fairly stiff rod in my limited experience...but I've probably only used it half a dozen times so I'm probably not the best person to give a full Run down on the rod.

Red Spinner

Reaction score
I have the LPXe 13ft 8/9, for advice on lining it I researched users just as your doing then I asked Guideline via the shop owner.
Result - a perfect set-up, easy loading and casting and I couldnt be happier with it.

Iman

Reaction score
I use the switch version : LXI 11ft6 #7/8. I love the rod because it feels so light in the hand and because overhead casting is nice and easy. BUT it took me some time to accept that the grain window of this rod is lower than what I expected from a 7/8. Best casting results I get with integrated scandi lines around 350 grains combined with trout polyleader. So I tend to consider my rod being a 6/7.
Do not pretend same thing is occurring on their longer spey rods. Maybe worth doing some trial casting before to be certain you get what you're looking for.
I just bought the same rod (LXi T-pac 11'6" #7/8). I do really like the rod and the fact it's easy to pack it in my single hand rod case for traveling. I've been trying different line grains but I haven't found the right line match. I'm wondering what line you ended up liking in 350 grains? In your experience, would 325 gain be too light? Also what length polyleaeder are you using with that? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Fons

Reaction score
I just bought the same rod (LXi T-pac 11'6" #7/8). I do really like the rod and the fact it's easy to pack it in my single hand rod case for traveling. I've been trying different line grains but I haven't found the right line match. I'm wondering what line you ended up liking in 350 grains? In your experience, would 325 gain be too light? Also what length polyleaeder are you using with that? Thanks for sharing your experience.
Rio Intouch trout spey line - 350 grains with a 8 ft intermediate to fast sinking trout polyleader + 8 - 10 ft tippet Heavier polyleaders get tricky to cast. I tried other lines on it before but none of them gave me the same degree of satisfaction (distance, nice turn over, easy casting, quite fishing, casting streamers until #6, side wind) as this one. So I stopped waisting money in my search to the best line. Only negative point : casting above combination UPWIND is poor, sidewinds = fine. Other negative point : the head section is making a creapy noice passing through the 2 first eyes of my LXI. The running line section, however, does NOT; so I can live with it.

The other lines I tried : a SA Scandi Light 300 grains with polyleaders (too light for me and why I decided to go for the 350 grain line above), Rio switch chucker 375 grains with same polyleaders; Guideline compact multitip kit 7/8 SH head with appropriate 12 Ft tips (advised by Guideline), commando OPST 400 grain head combined with the guideline kit tips, and an old Royal Wullf Ambush (also integrated line) I used for single hand overhead casting.

nice day
Fons

Iman

Reaction score
Rio Intouch trout spey line - 350 grains with a 8 ft intermediate to fast sinking trout polyleader + 8 - 10 ft tippet Heavier polyleaders get tricky to cast. I tried other lines on it before but none of them gave me the same degree of satisfaction (distance, nice turn over, easy casting, quite fishing, casting streamers until #6, side wind) as this one. So I stopped waisting money in my search to the best line. Only negative point : casting above combination UPWIND is poor, sidewinds = fine. Other negative point : the head section is making a creapy noice passing through the 2 first eyes of my LXI. The running line section, however, does NOT; so I can live with it.

The other lines I tried : a SA Scandi Light 300 grains with polyleaders (too light for me and why I decided to go for the 350 grain line above), Rio switch chucker 375 grains with same polyleaders; Guideline compact multitip kit 7/8 SH head with appropriate 12 Ft tips (advised by Guideline), commando OPST 400 grain head combined with the guideline kit tips, and an old Royal Wullf Ambush (also integrated line) I used for single hand overhead casting.

nice day
Fons
I ordered the Rio InTouch Trout Spey in 350 grains and finally got a chance to try it out today, with 10' floating polyleader that I already had in my stash. WOW! AMAZING! Thanks for the recommendation! The combination of the rod, line, and the leader is spot on. And quite frankly, the fact that it's an integrated line (I'm fishing small/medium rivers) is what makes it even more amazing (my expectation was pretty low).

Thanks also for sharing the lines you tried. I think that's as important. I tried a Wulff Ambush 325 grains with the same polyleader (10' floating). Meh! It's okay, not terrible. I also tried these setups with little success: Airflo Rage Compact head in 360 grains (I just don't get this line, it has never worked for me), SA Scandi head in 430 and 380 grains, Rio Outbound Short #8 in 315 grains, and Rio InTouch VersiTip II #8 in 284 grains.

Again, thanks for sharing your recommendation.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I ordered the Rio InTouch Trout Spey in 350 grains and finally got a chance to try it out today, with 10' floating polyleader that I already had in my stash. WOW! AMAZING! Thanks for the recommendation! The combination of the rod, line, and the leader is spot on. And quite frankly, the fact that it's an integrated line (I'm fishing small/medium rivers) is what makes it even more amazing (my expectation was pretty low).

Thanks also for sharing the lines you tried. I think that's as important. I tried a Wulff Ambush 325 grains with the same polyleader (10' floating). Meh! It's okay, not terrible. I also tried these setups with little success: Airflo Rage Compact head in 360 grains (I just don't get this line, it has never worked for me), SA Scandi head in 430 and 380 grains, Rio Outbound Short #8 in 315 grains, and Rio InTouch VersiTip II #8 in 284 grains.

Those line ratings would (for me) be far too light for that rod.

Iman

Reaction score
That's what one would expect. However, Guideline's recommended line weight for this rod is 19-21g/290-325 grains. You can definitely shoot a 430 grain head with the rod (that's the max I tried), but I don't think that's ideal for all day fishing, IMO.

Fons

Reaction score

Imam, fine that you come to the same WOW conclusions. One more thing that might interest you : that rod/line combination is also fantastic for overhead casting IF enough backspace is available. I make my way out with a spey cast then followed by ONE overhead backcast making it possible to shoot some extra line to get to places just out of reach. Mostly in dead air situations when my spey casting is loosing some distance.

@lefthandup : My personal conclusion : Quality of the rod=(y), quality of the rods rating =(n). That rod should have been rated #5/6 in stead of #7/8. and that is confirmed by the fact that Rio is advising their 350 grain Intouch trout spey line for a 5 Wt rod.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Imam, fine that you come to the same WOW conclusions. One more thing that might interest you : that rod/line combination is also fantastic for overhead casting IF enough backspace is available. I make my way out with a spey cast then followed by ONE overhead backcast making it possible to shoot some extra line to get to places just out of reach. Mostly in dead air situations when my spey casting is loosing some distance.

@lefthandup : My personal conclusion : Quality of the rod=(y), quality of the rods rating =(n). That rod should have been rated #5/6 in stead of #7/8. and that is confirmed by the fact that Rio is advising their 350 grain Intouch trout spey line for a 5 Wt rod.
Sorry ...I thought it was an 8/9 that was being referred 👍
I have an 8/9 and use a 550- 570 skagit on mine.