guideline 6 piece rods LXI vs NT8

liv

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a guideline travel rod around 14 ft 9/10 and I would like to ask how this NT8 is compared to other guideline rods. I have a bunch of Lpxe rods 13, 14, 15 ft and an LXI 13'9 10/11 which i like very much with heavy sinking triple d lines in nasty winter weather conditions.

If you have any experience with the 13'9 LXI and NT8, i would really appreciate it if you could share it here.

thank you.

rotenone

Reaction score
There nice rods but you are talking minute difference between the lxi tpac and the ntb no matter what a guideline rep will tell you, they are both fine rods, the nt8 loads deeper than the regular lxi but loads very like the tpac, I would save your pennies and go with a rod from the lxi 6 piece range as they are all superb. i found the 4 piece lxis too stiff for my liking

Hello,

I am looking for a guideline travel rod around 14 ft 9/10 and I would like to ask how this NT8 is compared to other guideline rods. I have a bunch of Lpxe rods 13, 14, 15 ft and an LXI 13'9 10/11 which i like very much with heavy sinking triple d lines in nasty winter weather conditions.

If you have any experience with the 13'9 LXI and NT8, i would really appreciate it if you could share it here.

thank you.

Last edited:

SuirAngler

Reaction score
There is a huge difference between the NT8 and the Lxi. The NT8 much lighter and more powerful than the LXi. Last year we stocked both in our shop and now we have stopped doing the Lxi as customers lost interest in them when they held both the NT8 and Lxi in their hand! The NT8 also uses a nano resin making it much stronger and lighter. You really need to lift one of the NT8 models to appreciate how light they are!

SuirAngler

Reaction score
By the way, the video above was filmed by myself on my casting ponds! We need to do a new one for the NT8! Just noticed how bad my bald patch looks at the end of the film!

Last edited:

liv

Reaction score
i thank you, gentlemen for your inputs. Unfortunately, i cannot test cast any of the two prior to buying(i live in North America), so i would like to ask another question regarding the ability of the two in handling the full sinking triple d heads. Which of the two is stiffer?

SuirAngler

Reaction score
i thank you, gentlemen for your inputs. Unfortunately, i cannot test cast any of the two prior to buying(i live in North America), so i would like to ask another question regarding the ability of the two in handling the full sinking triple d heads. Which of the two is stiffer?

The NT8 has by far more power than the Lxi. I was using this last week with the 3D+S1/S3/S5 and was as smooth as silk. We stock these rod in our store, you are welcome to phone us to discuss them. I really liked the Lxi when it came out, but the NT8 is on another level.

wetwader

Reaction score
How different the impressions are and how different we are in preferences.
Not long ago there was a thread and a member gave his impression to prefer the LXI TPac over the NT8 because it’s loading deeper, what he prefers.
I was test casting the NT8 14’9 in 9/10 with a 3D+ and it felt indeed a lot stiffer and more tippy compared to the LXi. It needed some power to be loaded satisfying.
Also compared to my LeCie 14’8 in 9/10 4-piece it felt a lot stronger, indeed too strong for the line. It was not proper loaded with this setup, prepared by the Guideline people.
Maybe the 14’9 10/11 is different with a 10/11 line.
There was only the 13’9 8/9 to test cast. It was paired with the 4D+. It was a pleasure to cast. Easy loading, very precise. It took slow stroke and fast stroke, also quite a lot of pressure. Very impressive distance casting. Much easier compared to the 14’9. Could be the line also of course. But the GL people usually know how to pair a setup.
My friends got the same impressions. Maybe the 14’9 needed another line.

Both NT8 rods were indeed very light in hand. The LXI felt too heavy immediately for me after their release and myself being used so many years to the LeCie rods. I never came together with one LXI. But I would definitely consider a NT8 for a next rod. Because of their 6-piece-configuration in a 13’9 9/10 for traveling.
Any experiences for that rod, proper fit of lines, etc. would be very appreciated.
Cheers
Roland

Down & Across

Reaction score
By the way, the video above was filmed by myself on my casting ponds! We need to do a new one for the NT8! Just noticed how bad my bald patch looks at the end of the film!

SuirAngler - out of interest, which head are you throwing out in that video?