Guess The Weight

charlieH

Reaction score
JMW2.jpg

I've been rather occupied with other stuff, so apologies that I haven't come back on this one for some time. As you can see, the correct weight of this fish was 47lbs.

The guesses were in quite a tight range this time, from 44lbs up to 54.5lbs, and although there were multiple guesses for several weights there was only one that was correct - from sealicer - so congratulations to him. The average worked out out at 49.7lbs, which is just 5.7% on the high side - another good result for the collective wisdom of the forum, I reckon, so give yourselves a pat on the back.

Incidentally, I notice that the name of the pool was spelt wrong - rather than Oyna it should have read Oyne, which I think is the Norwegian for Island. It was probably the least popular pool on the entire beat, and indeed wasn't much of a holding pool, but especially in high and cold water it was an excellent place for intercepting running fish, as they would almost always stop for a breather in one or other of two places in the pool. If you approached it with what I think of as a Norwegian mindset - i.e. kept going back to the taking spots several times in a session, rather than wasting time on the less productive areas - you had a decent chance of striking lucky. This was the pool that produced Terry Golding's fly-caught 49 1/2lber that features in the second volume of Buller's Domesday Book, and the guy who caught the last 46lber I put up here also had a 39lber on fly from it, which I remember was pictured in a piece in Shooting Time in 1985, along with a couple of the other fish I've already posted.

charlieH

Reaction score
CW1.jpg

Particularly in view of the recent thread about welly-slap - and anticipating rude comments from certain quarters - I should acknowledge that shorts and wellies isn't conventional attire for a gillie, but in my defence it was a very hot day, and tweeds wouldn't have been very comfortable!

What weight was the fish?

keirross

Reaction score
It looks very clean. Parallaxed, about 48 not that I'd know. I once held up a Forth cock kelt at Dykes 1980-ish (probably others here, too) was easily longer than Ms. G's 56" (I'm 6'-ish) with an incredible girth, coloured as if in formaldehyde. Lot's of other kelts too after a big spate. The island bits below Forth's Cruives are worth walking post spates - a real river and components doing their stuff.