Grilse Rod

Gold Sylph

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a GRXI rod (11' #7) for grilse. It would be a replacement for a Daiwa Whisker 11'3 which has broken and used mostly on small spate rivers.

Would appreciate views on this or a similar replacement.

Thanks

Rennie

Reaction score
Do you mean the Double Handed GRXi+ 11ft 6 for a 6 line?,I have one of these and its a cracking rod.I throw 21g shooting heads on it and a Rage 390 as well.I haven't had that many fish on it yet!! but I have had them to 14lb,my opinion of it is its a small river/close range Salmon rod-not a rod for small Salmon.Its great with floating lines,long tapered leaders or polytips,as yet I haven't used sinkers,but feel confident it would cope.If you are after a rod primarily for soft mouthed fresh run Grilse or Sea Trout,then it would be ok,but there may well be better considerations.I bought mine for small rivers and tight quarters as well as your target species,I havent been disappointed.Pedro.

Gold Sylph

Reaction score
Thanks Rennie for your helpful and comprehensive response. The rod I'm replacing is a single handed rod and I'm comfortable with that set up for the rivers I fish although occasionally I use a sage 14' on some wider high banked stretches. The best s/handed rod I've had was a B&W Century Grilse but unfortunately no longer have it. Regards, Gold Sylph.