Greys XF2 T 14' - anybody fishing one?

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Anybody fishing the new Greys XF2 T 14'?
I like the feel of it and I notice it has the same line & weight recommendations as it's posh cousin the Hardy Marksman 2 T 14', which got a superb review in the April edition of T&S.
And both are designed by Ian Gordon, which is enough in its self.
How would it fish a Mach 55 #9 or does it really need a #10?
H

Last edited:
Reaction score
Anybody fishing the new Greys XF2 T 14'?
I like the feel of it and I notice it has the same line & weight recommendations as it's posh cousin the Hardy Marksman 2 T 14', which got a superb review in the April edition of T&S.
And both are designed by Ian Gordon, which is enough in its self.
How would it fish a Mach 55 #9 or does it really need a #10?
H

I've found the Marksman needs a no. 10 line to come alive. The Hardy Greys website suggests the Greys needs a similar weight of line, so I'd be inclined to try it with a 10, but if you are buying one see what the dealer recommends.

MikeCC

Reaction score
I used a Guideline MMD Speyline 9/10, 60' head, 44 gram on my Marksman 14 footer. Worked sweet as a bell. Not surprising I suppose as that was the exact weight and size of speyline reccomended on the side of the rod. Does what it says on the tin! The Mackenzie G2 floating shooting head in size 8/9 also works very nicely. If the Greys is a similar rod then hopefuly that will be of some help.

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I'm surprised the Marksman is so good with such short shooting heads as the Rio AFS 9/10!
If the Greys and the Hardy rods are the same length with the same weight and line recommendations, can we assume they are one and the same blank?
H

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Managed to borrow a 14' XF2T for a few hours this afternoon and took it down to the river.
I tried a few lines on it namely a Mach 55 #9; a Vision Ace 11/12 37 gram SH and; a Loop Quattro 9/10 (new version).
Regrettably, I couldn't put my hands on Mach 55 10# or indeed a 60 foot 46 gram line (such as the old Odyssey 9/10!).
In short the rod loved the Quattro (which is not surprising as it weighs in at 42 grams for 50' and this corresponds with the recommendation on the blank for an SS). I could readily shoot 10 long strips which altogether with the head length, leader and rod length, brought me close to 100' with little effort. I expect the rod would therefore suit the old Mach 1 10/11.
The Vision Ace at 37 grams was also ideal and shot to 90' with little effort but the Mach #9 was indifferent.
If any thing I found the tip to be stiffer than I expected for the T version but I expect that reflects the emphasis on shooting line even with an MS 60' head. In hand before I lined the rod it felt progressive if not a touch soft but when it is lined it is surprisingly fast and stiffer than one might expect.
I have to say I like the handle and am a fan of cork composite sections and the reel fitting is just superb, just like a Hardy.
I dislike the single leg rings but I expect they are there to accommodate the expectation of shooting long lengths of running line behind a 50' head or 60 ' head.
The blank is market SH 46'/36g (eg Snowbee 8/9 44' Scandi spey line at 36g); SS 52'/42 (Quattro as above) and MS 60'/46g.
This compares to the Hardy Marksman T2 14' at SH 45'/36; SS 50'/42 and MS 60'/44 grams!
Tempting
H

Last edited:

seatrout

Reaction score
Grey's XF2 T

As a traditionalist has anybody used a DT9 on this rod and how did it perform