Greys XF2 S

beanieboy

Reaction score
Anyone tried these new Scandi type rods from Greys? They really look the part.

bankwheel

Reaction score
Had a look at them in the GAC, the casting instructer there has been using a prototype one for a year and rates them very highly, he says they should be a Hardy rod he puts them above the Demon in performance. I'm very tempted by the 12' for a 7# it will take a 7/8 AFS line but I will need to try one first. They look very well made.

beanieboy

Reaction score
I was thinking about the very same model, seems ideal for use with the new range of compact scandi heads from Rio and Airflo. Lovely looking rods.

offshore

Reaction score
Just wondered if anybody had been able to try and compare the new XF2 T series and S series in the 12' versions? Any thoughts?

Would the the 7-8# Scierra MWF shooting head be a good match/weight for the 7# rods, or is it too light - you just never know?

Thanks

andy345

Reaction score
I have the scandi 12' #7 and im well impressed, delivers all expectations, if I had to replace my equipment for reasons beyond my control ie theft etc then id seriously think twice about the need to spend the 700 - 800 pounds each that my lts x1's cost - especially with rods of this value around.

flying c

Reaction score
Guys i know yous are talking about double handers,but do any of yous know what the single hander in the 10 foot 7weight is like, as im looking for a rod for grilse.

Manythanks
Richard

addie

Reaction score
drowes salmon

Xf2 s is a brill scandi rod. Works very well with RIO shooting heads and is in my opinion better than most of the upperclass versions.Slight noise from line thru rings is only downside.

If looking for a salmon/ grilse rod, a switch rod would b your best bet. Vision and Loop are excellent editions.

tight Lines w flying c.

flying c

Reaction score
I got the 10ft, 7 weight greys fx competition special and im well impressed with it lovely rod.Paired it up with the Hardy Ultralite CC 7000 reel.

Richard

Last edited:

andy345

Reaction score
just a heads up fellas, I tried a 450 grain airflo skagit compact 23ft with an ultra fast sinking tip today on my 12' #7 scandi xf2 today, theresult was fantastic, delivered all tips and a decent size fly with ease.

andy345

Reaction score
both appear to work very well, its maybe all down to personal preference.... after trying the skagit on mine today my eyes were certainly opened as to just how many different uses a rod as light as this has.

Top Rod

Reaction score
Couldn't decide on wheather to buy a greys xf2 scandi or a guideline lpxe, i fancied both rods for a while but it was 1 or the other, after a trip to glasgow angling centre my mind was made up after talking to a international instructor that was in the store at the time, he more or less advised me that the xf2 is a far better rod (in his opinion obviously), seamingly the xf2 should've been a hardy rod, it has a stunning finish and is very light, he also said these rods are not easy broken unlike the lpxe and are capable of casting heavy lines at great distances, if the rod ever did break it can be fixed within the week form greys of Alnwick instead of having to send rod sections abroad. After using this rod i can't tell you how good it is and an absolute bargain at £300, I am very happy and hope this helps anybody else who is thinking about buying one.