Greys X-Flite 14’

John Keane

Reaction score
Thought I’d start a thread on this one as there doesn’t seem to be one. I’ve bought this rod 2nd hand from a dealer. I tried it out, on a local river, along with a new XF2, new Oracle Scandi 14’9” and 2nd hand Guideline LPXE with a couple of different lines (Rio Scandi Spey and an AFS both 9/10) and the X-Flite just seemed to suit my style better, but the XF2 seemed a lot more powerful. I used it for the first time last year with a Rio Scandi Spey 9/10 in the colder months and s Rio Short Head Spey 8/9 when the weather warmed up a bit. Never regretted buying the rod. The build quality is good with a really nicely made handle.

Anyone else habitually use this rod?

G

guest2938

John, im glad you posted that. Not many posts on the 14 original x flite. I had this rod and used it exclusively for around 4 years, and absolutely loved it. I bought it brand new off ebay still in the wrapper for £103 in a no reserve auction, what a bargain. I dont advertise this much on this forum as i have street cred to live up to, and akin to shakey oracle owners, i dont know how it would go down with the masses. But i can honestly say, that i loved that rod, i still have it, but never seem to bring myself to cast with it again in public. I had 2 set ups with it and it was as perfect a set up as ive ever had, over many rods and lines ive owned and tried. I only really used a few different flies with it funny enough.

Rio AFs floating and an airflo slow sink 10ft polyleader, 3 feet of nylon and a sunray shadow or a willie gunn flamethrower 9 on the end.

or in colder or higher water

Guideline power taper RTG hover Inty 8/9 and a wee 5 foot fast sink poly with a allu B&Y posh tosh or PBP cascade.

That was me, didnt change a thing, there was still fish in the Don, and man what a time to be alive....

DCH

John Keane

Reaction score
Had a fresh 9lb-er out of the Spey at Pitchroy on it, from a fast, rocky pool and it handled the fish really well. Fished most of the week with it alternating between a #9 Rio Scandi Versi-tip and a 9/10 InTouch Short Head Spey and the rod handled both really well.