Grey and Olive

Silverdream

Reaction score
Versions of Grey and Olive with some orange and bit dirty yellow have worked very well in Northern Norway.
IMG_5390.JPG

pfeul

Reaction score
These are real beauties!
Your things are always inspiring!
What kind of conditions and water do you fish these flies?

bankwheel

Reaction score
Love these, had a few fish on a very similar fly this season on the spey, Tay, Findhorn and Garry

Silverdream

Reaction score
These are real beauties!
Your things are always inspiring!
What kind of conditions and water do you fish these flies?
I mostly fish in a river with clear water. We have few pools, where water many times looks really dark olive, especially when sun comes from a certain direction. Then this color combo seems to work well.

Of course olive is superb color in any situation in clear water.

Well, these are just my experiences and opinions, and as we know, we choose the fly, not a salmon.
But in the end it is a salmon that makes the last decision.

Cheers

Timmins

Reaction score
Versions of Grey and Olive with some orange and bit dirty yellow have worked very well in Northern Norway.
View attachment 53076
What’s the best way to mount the hooks on these tubes . I’ve just this week received the frodin fits and would you just free swing the hook with the ttt or small silicone sleeve n hook but no where to secure the sleeve ???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Silverdream

Reaction score
What’s the best way to mount the hooks on these tubes . I’ve just this week received the frodin fits and would you just free swing the hook with the ttt or small silicone sleeve n hook but no where to secure the sleeve ???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I hardly never use TTT´s. I tie flies like these using light weighed, normal cones (copper) or just very short piece of plastic tube. Sometimes I use Small Turbo disc, but many of my flies are very light without Turbo´s or heavier cones on the front of the fly.
I have some of these made with TTT´s, using them in a strong current, but I just like more of them with a normal cone.
We have tied them like these from -90´s

I use piece of plastic tube with the hook. I warm the tube with lighter, and when it get warm enough I just stretch it a bit to have smaller diameter to the other end (see the pic)
The I melt a collar. Size of the collar depends what kind of cone I have on the fly. Smaller cone, the smaller collar.
If I want the hook to be at the end of the wing I use longer tube, or if prefer to hook stay right next to cone, then shorter tube, and with the smaller flies shorter tube with smaller inner diameter.
I like to use doubles or singles with these kind of flies, but sometimes I use trebles also.
Doubles and singles tend to "swim" up size down, so many time bit heavier hook can ge good, especially if you dont have any stiffer material on underwing.
Hope this helps...

IMG_5397.JPG
IMG_5400.JPG

Last edited: