Greetings from Canada

Michael_D_CPA

Reaction score
Very interested in learning ideas and techniques from Europe. My first foray with the 2 handed rod was mid-Pandemic, due to the fact that the US border and my trout fishing destinations were closed to me. So after a bit of research and study, I have started to chase and to dream of Great Lakes Salmon (Atlantics are being reintroduced), Pacific (King/Chinook below), and of course Steelhead. I plan to visit the Gaspé for the first time this summer.

In a sporting manner, I truly believe the fish must be caught on the swing and not with a sac of eggs.

I appreciate all of the great advice, and different ideas on tackle compared to what is coming from the Pacific Northwest of USA (Skagit, heavy). Trying to get out fishing and not thinking that I've purchased all of the wrong equipment as reading the forums in 2 continents does that. I am covered by a 9'8wt single hand; a Loomis IMX Pro 7wt 11'11" and a Sage 9140X two handers. No need to worry about the missing holes of 6 and 8 wt rods in the middle of 12-14'.

P9160673c.jpg

keirstream

Reaction score
Welcome Michael.(y)(y)
Think Silvers and you are pretty much thinking Atlantics.
Certainly, skagits, fast sink T Tips and heavy tubes have their place over here but generally the just sub surface fly
worked on a swing of various speeds does the trick.

Michael_D_CPA

Reaction score
Welcome Michael.(y)(y)
Think Silvers and you are pretty much thinking Atlantics.
Certainly, skagits, fast sink T Tips and heavy tubes have their place over here but generally the just sub surface fly
worked on a swing of various speeds does the trick.
Agreed, thank you, and cannot wait to get out.

Marc LeBlanc

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Michael! As a fellow Canuck and CPA, I can assure you this is a great Forum with friendly, helpful contributions and very low drama.

Greetings from the Maritimes!

Michael_D_CPA

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Michael! As a fellow Canuck and CPA, I can assure you this is a great Forum with friendly, helpful contributions and very low drama.

Greetings from the Maritimes!
Thank you Marc (an Acadian from New Brunswick I will presume by your unique name). See you out east soon.

Pete V

Reaction score
Welcome Michael.

I have been fortunate enough to have fished a few of the rivers in the Gaspé area and also New Brunswick, despite coming from Europe. Maybe you should come over here sometime when things are not quite as viral as they are now.

Pete

duncan

Reaction score
Only fished for Steelheads once for a couple of days. This in Ontario on the Saugeen in Ontario with Ken Chandler, great guide, couldn’t ask for better, this in October.
Swinging intruders using a 12’ 6” Loop rated 6/7 with a Rio AFS multi tip head with 15’ tips, nothing too heavy fast sink tip max.
Great fishing, hooked 10 first day landed 2 then hooked 10 second day and landed 8, never seen fish go like that, spent most of their time out the water.

SalmoNewf

Reaction score
“As a fellow Canuck and CPA,....”. What’s with all the accountants on here?

SalmoNewf, CA (retired)

Michael_D_CPA

Reaction score
Only fished for Steelheads once for a couple of days. This in Ontario on the Saugeen in Ontario with Ken Chandler, great guide, couldn’t ask for better, this in October.
Swinging intruders using a 12’ 6” Loop rated 6/7 with a Rio AFS multi tip head with 15’ tips, nothing too heavy fast sink tip max.
Great fishing, hooked 10 first day landed 2 then hooked 10 second day and landed 8, never seen fish go like that, spent most of their time out the water.
Excellent, the Saugeen is a well managed fishery with a great community behind it. The waters on that side of the country are special. Definitely a trip on my list.

1kofly

Reaction score
Welcome:) I am also fresh here and it is huge ideas and concepts mine for salmon fly fishing. Good luck!

Last edited: