Green Machine (single) sizes 2 through 8

Pete V

Reaction score
I find this thread somewhat mind boggling.
Marc LeBlanc will not fish a Green Machine because it catches too many fish and charlieH will not fish cascades for the same reason.

Compared to you guys I am obviously a complete novice but I am dumfounded.
It looks like you have both discovered your Holy Grail of salmon flies.

For me a salmon fishing trip is a big event as it usually involves getting on an airplane or driving well over 1000km and catching ferries.

I understand that fly fishing is probably the most difficult way there is to catch a fish and that salmon are moody b...ards and will only take when they feel like it. If I had discovered the perfect fly, I would use it most of the time only changing when it didn't work or if I decided to use a dry or a hitch.
I can understand Marc trying to work out why classic flies worked over a hundred years ago. I would be more interested to know why the Green Machine works so well.

From what I have learned from my travels is that a GM or a bomber with a similar shape works well in Canada. I have caught fish on a Green Francis.
In Scotland a Cascade or a Willie Gun are THE flies.
In Ireland shrimp flies are the thing.
In Iceland Red or Black Francis will normally do the job.

Is this because the people in these counties normally only fish these sort of flies? or is there something else?

What in reality is the best catching salmon fly?

I know some people will say that it doesn't matter as long as you fish with confidence. Others will say that presentation and fishing at the right depth and the right speed are more important.
Assuming that these things are a given what is the correct fly pattern?

charlieH

Reaction score
I find this thread somewhat mind boggling.
Marc LeBlanc will not fish a Green Machine because it catches too many fish and charlieH will not fish cascades for the same reason.

I won't claim to speak for Marc, but catching too many fish is certainly not the reason I avoid Cascades! The Cascade is obviously a very effective fly - the results speak for themselves. But is it any more effective than other patterns, or is its success just a result of the fact that it is the first choice for so many people and so gets more time in the water - and those people only change to other patterns when the Cascade ceases to work, which probably is in fact an indication that the fish have switched off?

Frankly, I just feel its ubiquity makes it a boring choice. The flies I use instead aren't in fact so very different from Cascades (and do share that magical orange, yellow and black colour combination), and while I don't really believe they are any more successful than Cascades, in my experience they are no less successful either. And, crucially, any fish I might catch will have a different fly beside them in the catch record.

Cascades are for sheeple!

Marc LeBlanc

Reaction score
Excellent point Pete and I am glad you brought it up!

Charlie captures my thoughts perfectly. I don’t fish GMs because they catch too many fish. I feel I can catch as many fish (or more) using flies that aren’t the “go to” flies used by the masses.

In fact, I get enjoyment out of catching a fish on flies that are not commonly used. I also believe it can be productive to use a fly that the salmon haven't been bombarded with for hours and sometimes days prior to my arrival. As I generally fish public beats, these pools are constantly barraged with the usual suspect of flies so a changed fly can often entice a stale fish.

Don’t get me wrong- I am in this game to catch fish. I just like doing it in a way that is different than how many others approach it.

I relate this to going to a good restaurant and always ordering the same dish that was so fantastic the first time you ate it. Sometimes it is refreshing and exciting to try something different every once in a while. Occasionally you learn you enjoy a new spice or flavour that you never experienced before.

Cheers and stay safe!

Marc

Marc LeBlanc

Reaction score
I should also add that if any of you come to Quebec or Atlantic Canada to fish for salmon, I wholeheartedly encourage you to bring and fish green machines.

The whole point of me starting this thread is to present flies to you that are effective in our area.

Cheers!