Green Highlander

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
This one is a simple and poor (no fancy feathers here) version based on Mr. Kelson pattern.

View attachment 48002
Looks amazingly tied - tag, floss, rib and palmered hackle are perfect - and the wing looks great. Do you know if Kelson's version is before or after fancier feathers were available or do you think he had stripped it down based on experience - he was a fish magnet! Anyway, that's a belter - never caught on one but my pal had two in a row on a tube version one Spring

Andrzej

Reaction score
Looks amazingly tied - tag, floss, rib and palmered hackle are perfect - and the wing looks great. Do you know if Kelson's version is before or after fancier feathers were available or do you think he had stripped it down based on experience - he was a fish magnet! Anyway, that's a belter - never caught on one but my pal had two in a row on a tube version one Spring
Thank you Patrick :D I managed to dig-out some dates, the Kelson version 1895, the Pryce-Tannatt version 1914, not some big time gap between these patterns, found also an info that the forerunner of the Green Highlander was the Highlander. Hard to say why the Kelson version is much simpler, perhaps he wanted to have something quick to tie (well... it still takes much more time to tie comparing to today's flies) and effective. I'd need to try to tie these classics on larger hooks, managed to get some large dyed turkey feathers, but struggling to find feathers large enough in natural colours. I also didn't catch a fish on the GH, though to be honest I didn't fish on this pattern as much as I should.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I love the tying but I’m not sure about that hook. I’m not sure why but maybe the way it kicks the wing up🤔

Andrzej

Reaction score
Many thanks gentlemen! Iain, it's a spey hook, perhaps not the best choice for this type of flies, though to say the truth I didn't pay enough attention to set the wing lower... but let's say it's the hook to blame for this :LOL:

Last edited: