Great news for fans of Mortimer and Whitehouse

Coneheads

Reaction score
2 threads going on this prog, posted on both

I reckon the Junction Ghillie and Whitehouse needed a full face crash helmet on in the boat, BobMortimers casting was atrociously dangerous, but for safety reasons I reckon there was just a piece of wool tied on to the end of the leader or nothing at all ? even so Paul Whitehouse could of had his eye put out when the tip of the rod clonked him on the head ? but it must of been rehearsed to prevent ant injury ? amusing to watch as Bob is clueless on fishing, likes cooking though .

Safranfoer

Reaction score
We're all really enjoying it - even my husband, who is not a piscator... Something for everyone - a great way to fly the flag for fishing to the mainstream. The pace of it, the camerawork, the warmth... It's a joy and a balm. And I realised catching up on it tonight that I know one of the camera men - I'm going to ask next time I work with him if Bob and Paul are as lovely off camera as on.

salarchaser

Reaction score
We're all really enjoying it - even my husband, who is not a piscator... Something for everyone - a great way to fly the flag for fishing to the mainstream. The pace of it, the camerawork, the warmth... It's a joy and a balm. And I realised catching up on it tonight that I know one of the camera men - I'm going to ask next time I work with him if Bob and Paul are as lovely off camera as on.
Paul is a Rhondda boy so cant be all bad, like me.?

He was born in stanleytown, about 3 miles from my childhood home.

I enjoy the show, but sometimes find Bob's buffoonery a bit staged.
You'd have thought hed have had a few casting lessons by now as well.?
Perhaps it wouldnt be the same if he were more proficient.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Paul is a Rhondda boy so cant be all bad, like me.?

He was born in stanleytown, about 3 miles from my childhood home.

I enjoy the show, but sometimes find Bob's buffoonery a bit staged.
You'd have thought hed have had a few casting lessons by now as well.?
Perhaps it wouldnt be the same if he were more proficient.

Bob's lack of fishing ability is one of my favourite parts because he makes me feel good. I can definitely cast better than Bob Mortimer. (I know. So could many people who've never picked up a rod...) I liked the Izaak Walton analogy between the two of them - it's the set up of the show, and it's nice.

It is stagey, but I don't care. He has a sunny charm that's endearing. I'd rather faux naivety than calculated cynicism.

I was surprised to learn that Paul is Welsh - can't hear a bit of it in his accent.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Bob's lack of fishing ability is one of my favourite parts because he makes me feel good. I can definitely cast better than Bob Mortimer. (I know. So could many people who've never picked up a rod...) I liked the Izaak Walton analogy between the two of them - it's the set up of the show, and it's nice.

It is stagey, but I don't care. He has a sunny charm that's endearing. I'd rather faux naivety than calculated cynicism.

I was surprised to learn that Paul is Welsh - can't hear a bit of it in his accent.
I agree that Bob's lack of fishing ability is part of the charm.

Apparently Paul left the Rhondda for the south east at 4, hence his lack of Welsh accent. Seen a few interviews with him and he seems quite proud of his heritage. Im sure he referred to it in the first series.

Lots of us out there. Ive not lived in Wales for over 30 years.
We walk among you. ;)

Aled

Reaction score
2 guys meet up do a bit of fishing have a chat they may catch fish they may not, drink a small amount of alcohol, enjoy some fresh air and go home. I find it quite therapeutic.
If you visit some of the multi method reservoirs around the country, you'll probably find a lot of other blokes doing the same.
Tight Lines
Aled

Safranfoer

Reaction score
2 guys meet up do a bit of fishing have a chat they may catch fish they may not, drink a small amount of alcohol, enjoy some fresh air and go home. I find it quite therapeutic.
If you visit some of the multi method reservoirs around the country, you'll probably find a lot of other blokes doing the same.
Tight Lines
Aled
I feel like if I went and sat and watched them fish, they’d be... unsettled.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Tight Lines
Aled
A syndicate trout water I fish has a lot of guys like that. Spend 5 hours at the water and about 2 hours fishing, if that.
Piscator Non Solum Piscatur.

Not sure Paul and Bob fall into the multi method reservoirs category though Aled :ROFLMAO:.
Junction pool, test, derbyshire wye.:unsure:
Get your point though.

Tangled

Reaction score
I think it's done a great job of appealing to a quite wide demographic by not just being about fishing - possibly not even being about fishing. My wife has recorded it and watches it when I'm away fishing. She really looks forward to the show.

It's a bit like the detectorists - a kind of gentle sideways look at life surrounding an odd passtime. The fact that it's made main stream TV, at peak viewing and is in its third series tells you that it's not the niche programming that you expect from fishing programmes.

Loxie

Reaction score

I got a telling off for watching it without my missus. She's no angler but likes the gentle warmth of two old pals having a laugh together.

it's easy to get all bumptious about the fishing not being very good but that is to completely miss the point. I must confess Paul Whitehouse's comedy style isn't really for me, although he is better as the grown up, but I am delighted we have a popular show on mainstream TV. This can only be good.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
I managed to watch the first show for five minutes. I tried again last night....two minutes.
Watching two guys trying to be funny, but failing, is not my idea of an angling programme (or any other tv programme!).

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
This Sunday BBC2 @. 2010 for an hour long christmas special kids 🙂

Attachments

• 8D1AB89F-A295-4D44-9C2F-EDE4625B5C1C.jpeg
    8D1AB89F-A295-4D44-9C2F-EDE4625B5C1C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17