Grayling Spey rod

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
The grayling boys have got their teeth into me. This is the 3rd grayling/trout Spey rod I’ve built now.
It’s an 11ft 3weight 5 piece.
Ive used mainly flor grade cork on the top handle with a burnt cork butt.
They guy wanted a colour scheme based on a graylings dorsal fin. So I’ve used grey metallic, silver and red thread and similar coloured bands in the handle.
5D8DBF0B-5E8A-450E-8821-B23F29D19491.jpeg
1BB6B1AD-A1CB-45FA-B56E-0D525D4C5183.jpeg
AD112DF0-D147-48C9-B338-349E4226CC07.jpeg
A20F5337-7898-49AD-98B2-CFE2EF74BBEB.jpeg
4342C1D9-3AF0-4AB1-B1E1-4BF21D559CAD.jpeg

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
😂

Grain window for overhead casting ?
I’m not sure TBH.
I do however have another 4 of these blanks as I had a feeling the grayling boys will be back at me again.
I did build one for Ghillie on the tweed Brian I can’t mind his second name but could ask him what he uses on it?

Last edited:

Birkin

Reaction score
I had a problem casting sink tip lines on a 9# single hander that caused my shoulder to give me great pain. I now have selection of short double handed rods to use if the problem reoccurs. 4#, 6#, 8# and 10# 11ft switch rods and a hand built 12ft 5# single hand rated rod. So a 3# would fit in very nicely for grayling fishing.
Very nice looking rod.

pfeul

Reaction score
I had a problem casting sink tip lines on a 9# single hander that caused my shoulder to give me great pain. I now have selection of short double handed rods to use if the problem reoccurs. 4#, 6#, 8# and 10# 11ft switch rods and a hand built 12ft 5# single hand rated rod. So a 3# would fit in very nicely for grayling fishing.
Very nice looking rod.
Just passing by, where have sourced a 12ft #5 single hand rated blank? looking for such a specific blank for a long time now

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
That’s like a #7 single handed line.
I’m surprised he uses that heavy a line on it TBH. It’s the thinnest top section of any rod I’ve built. The snake guide legs are fatter than the blank on the last couple. I will ask the boy I’ve built this for what his plans are for lines for it.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Just passing by, where have sourced a 12ft #5 single hand rated blank? looking for such a specific blank for a long time now
I can get a 12ft 4/5 weight but would imagine it will be 2 hand rated not single.
The butt diameter is 10.8mm and tip 1.5mm

Birkin

Reaction score
We imported in 4off 12ft trout rated 5# blanks from Anglers Roost Enterprises in 2016 to build trout rated rods for small spate rivers and grayling fishing. The owner of the company, John Kuehn, passed away in December 2018 and it appears that the company was not taking orders the last time I looked in July 2019.

pfeul

Reaction score
We imported in 4off 12ft trout rated 5# blanks from Anglers Roost Enterprises in 2016 to build trout rated rods for small spate rivers and grayling fishing. The owner of the company, John Kuehn, passed away in December 2018 and it appears that the company was not taking orders the last time I looked in July 2019.
Anglers roost was the only store wher I've seen such long rods for casting very light lines.
It's a niche market but for fishing a set of wet flies for trout and controlling the drift/swing they should be great. How do you rate your rod?

Birkin

Reaction score
Anglers roost was the only store wher I've seen such long rods for casting very light lines.
It's a niche market but for fishing a set of wet flies for trout and controlling the drift/swing they should be great. How do you rate your rod?
Fished in the right places it is a dream. Because of the weight it is very easy to cast both double and single handed. I use it with both WF and DT 5# trout lines.