Graphene Rods in General

Rennie

Reaction score
Just a curious enquiry but in the face of the interest of the Gaelforce Graphene rods, is there any feedback out there on Scott Mackenzie's Graphene range?.
To this day I've never seen one on the bank and not heard much on them at all.
Merely wondering thats all.
Pedro.

D

Deleted member 11237

I built a rod on a bloke graphene blank, it's a decent rod. It hasn't changed my life or anything. Infact if you picked it up and cast it you'd be none the wiser.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I'm hoping to be able to test one of Vision's graphene models early in the new season and will report just as soon as I've done so.

nickolas

Reaction score
It’s just marketing, the amount of graphene must be so small otherwise they would weigh about on ounce.

Last edited:

duncan

Reaction score
Had a cast with Scot McK’s 14’ graphene last year, nice casting and fishing rod, however if I was going to spend money on a new rod it would be a Loop 7x. I had a cast with the 13’2” #8 and found it absolutely brilliant, very smooth and easy to cast. Having said all that I’m still using my Loop GASS 14 # 7/8 and two Evotec 14’#9 and 13’ Q.

Neil W

Reaction score
I guess it’s all about trying to sell rods. Without marketing new rods and technology these companies will go out of business. They must rely on people buying the latest and greatest and moving on their old rods. Considering the number of salmon anglers in the U.K. I am still amazed at the range and quality of gear we can get.
would I buy a graphene rod? Yes I would if was looking at a new rod. Would I trade in an older rod because I wanted graphene? Probably not but I do like a new rod and completely understand why companies launch new models so maybe I would 😀

Tangled

Reaction score
At the moment it's a gimmick, though presumably it'll be useful eventually. I have to say I was disappointed to learn that graphene is just being added in the resin like 3M's nano-spheres rather than strings of graphene fibres like carbon fibres. I can't see much of a breakthough until that becomes possible, if it ever can.

Tangled

Reaction score
If you want an educated sceptical view

CTS investigated graphene as an additive to our resin system some years ago. We found no evidence that adding graphene nanopowder to the epoxy resin improved any of the characteristics we were looking for in a material for fishing rods.

Conversely, we found evidence that adding more than 10% nanopowder to the epoxy matrix, increases its brittleness. In a fishing rod we rely on toughened epoxy resin systems to distribute impact shocks, protect the laminate and support the fiber in compression.

We concluded that adding a bit of graphene to our resins might be good for the marketing department and our ability to sell a higher priced product, but marginally detrimental to performance.”
CTS Fishing
https://ctsfishing.com/spotlight-on-materials-the-lowdown-on-

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
I have a 13ft Mackenzie Fx1. Outstanding, powerfull and forgiving enough for a part time salmo salar chaser.
The rod was a gift, I personally wouldn't spend a grand on a rod and my bottom of the range loop and guideline rods are more than adequate for my needs. Having said that they have not seen the river much since the fx1 came along. A true pleasure of a rod to cast with.

It is not that it is an huge step from what I have used before but there is just something about it that I cant put my finger on. Its crisp, sweet if you get my meaning.