Grahams 11'3 sea trout special

Piker20

Reaction score
Has anyone got one of these? Are they single hand rated 7/8?
Are they a long line 7 or really suited to an 8?

Reaction score
Met a guy fishing the nairn with one, grahams commissioned them to replace the daiwa whisker 11ft 3in, looks like a switch rod with the longer butt at the bottom, very light, I will ask what line he was using when I see him again I think it could be more a trout rating than a switch or salmon, he paid £140. 00 and its made in Scotland, looks avery nice rod and very well priced,
Cheers patrick

Piker20

Reaction score
yep I spoke to Dave in Grahams and he said a WF 8F or a 7sinker suit it really well. Ummm. Definately tempted. Make a good loch rod too I imagine.

Reaction score
was in grahams on Monday , after speaking to billy in the shop i was looking for a switch rod with a lighter presentation than my other switch rod he showed me the grahams sea trout rod (which also has the screw in butt) i bought the rod tried it with a snowbee switch line, went out first cast that same afternoon on the Nairn and landed and returned a coloured 7lb fish , was out today and caught a 12lb bar of silver, the rod handled the fish no problem i could not fault it ,spey casting or single handed overhead cast with ease, anyone looking for a low water rod its well worth having a look at these wee rods

westie4566

Reaction score
was in grahams on Monday , after speaking to billy in the shop i was looking for a switch rod with a lighter presentation than my other switch rod he showed me the grahams sea trout rod (which also has the screw in butt) i bought the rod tried it with a snowbee switch line, went out first cast that same afternoon on the Nairn and landed and returned a coloured 7lb fish , was out today and caught a 12lb bar of silver, the rod handled the fish no problem i could not fault it ,spey casting or single handed overhead cast with ease, anyone looking for a low water rod its well worth having a look at these wee rods

Fit's the action like Patrick? Never had ye doon as a tackle tart tho!!!

speers

Reaction score
could you provide me with details of this rod, I must say im interested,
especially as it has the screw out but.
a link and the shop where you got it from if possible.
many thanks.
speers.

Reaction score
Fit's the action like Patrick? Never had ye doon as a tackle tart tho!!!

Hi westie, great wee rod well finished nice through action not as fast as my mackenzie switch rod a bit more bend in it, I was looking for something with a lighter presentation with the very low water but didn't want to pay a fortune, dont think I will not buy overpriced tackle again, dose everything you want it to,you can unscrew the butt and have a great loch rod,
Cheers patrick

Last edited:

Finglas

Reaction score
Anyone got any updates on these rods or any advice? Thinking if getting one, like the idea of it being softer and more progressive in it's action....

Jamie

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Anyone got any updates on these rods or any advice? Thinking if getting one, like the idea of it being softer and more progressive in it's action....

Jamie

I bought the Grilse version a few months ago and have been out this past week or so trying lines through it. The grilse rod is 8/9 rated but really not sure if it's trout rated or salmon rated.

It is definitely more flexible and forgiving than my trout rated switch rod and is a really nice rod to cast for me personally.

I only intend to use it as a short double hander.

I bought a Rio Scandi Short from a forum member recently at 420 grains and I really like it.

Just trying to find an intermediate or sink tip for it now around that weight that doesn't cost almost as much as the rod! 😬

I don't claim to be any sort of casting expert but the rod and line does everything I need it to do. 🙂

Finglas

Reaction score
I bought the Grilse version a few months ago and have been out this past week or so trying lines through it. The grilse rod is 8/9 rated but really not sure if it's trout rated or salmon rated.

It is definitely more flexible and forgiving than my trout rated switch rod and is a really nice rod to cast for me personally.

I only intend to use it as a short double hander.

I bought a Rio Scandi Short from a forum member recently at 420 grains and I really like it.

Just trying to find an intermediate or sink tip for it now around that weight that doesn't cost almost as much as the rod! 😬

I don't claim to be any sort of casting expert but the rod and line does everything I need it to do. 🙂
Thank you Jockie. All in all it sounds quite good? What about the quality of it? I know it's quite a bit cheaper than other rods out there but does it seem reasonably good quality ? Being made in Scotland I'm hoping it's quite good in that department.

Jamie

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thank you Jockie. All in all it sounds quite good? What about the quality of it? I know it's quite a bit cheaper than other rods out there but does it seem reasonably good quality ? Being made in Scotland I'm hoping it's quite good in that department.

Jamie

I really don't claim to have any great knowledge on rods. ☺️

Here's a few photos of mine...

IMG_20210411_192947.jpg

IMG_20210411_192931.jpg

IMG_20210411_193031.jpg

IMG_20210411_193052.jpg

IMG_20210411_193201.jpg

Maybe those will help you decide. 🙂

Finglas

Reaction score
Thanks Jockie, that's a great help. I think I'll try the sea trout version. Could use it for sea trout, low water grilse and some boat fishing.

Jamie

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thanks Jockie, that's a great help. I think I'll try the sea trout version. Could use it for sea trout, low water grilse and some boat fishing.

Jamie

The lower handle is removable too and they supply a wee screw in plug to make them single handed. Matched with the right line, I've no doubt it would be a lovely single hander.

I'm sure the sea trout version will be a nice rid for low water for both trout and grilse. 🙂

Finglas

Reaction score
The lower handle is removable too and they supply a wee screw in plug to make them single handed. Matched with the right line, I've no doubt it would be a lovely single hander.

I'm sure the sea trout version will be a nice rid for low water for both trout and grilse. 🙂

Thanks again Jockie. Sounds like the line you are using is a salmon weighted line? Not sure how it would work for the sea trout rod, I've got 7/8 spey lines but for larger rods, can't imagine firing one out on a rod just over 11ft. Wonder if it needs a trout line weight 7/8?

Jamie

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thanks again Jockie. Sounds like the line you are using is a salmon weighted line? Not sure how it would work for the sea trout rod, I've got 7/8 spey lines but for larger rods, can't imagine firing one out on a rod just over 11ft. Wonder if it needs a trout line weight 7/8?

Jamie

Yes my line is salmon rated but I would say the rods are trout rated to be honest.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Great. Maybe a single handed spey line would do the job. I have a weight 7 in transit from China thanks to Maxcatch.

I haven't tried my single handed spey line through it. 😂 I have a Barrio SLX. I must try it through it at some stage out of curiousity.

I tried an Airflo 40+, 8#, through it on friday but felt it was too light for spey casting but it went OK overhead. It's just that I've got so used to Spey casting now that I don't feel all that comfortable overhead casting anymore. Always catch trees or the bank with the back cast! :LOL: