Gr70 14’

glenelg100

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting one of the above rods as they have been reduced in price by quite a lot, it would be a back up rod so I don’t want to drift too far away action wise from my day to day rod as I get along not to bad casting wise not catching wise .I currently use a ( Hardy marksman 2 T ), so anyone who can give any advice/comparisons, it would be most appreciated.

Thankyou Ian

bankwheel

Reaction score
Spent a fair bit of time testing these last year and I had the 14'. These are seriously good rods especially at the price, for me a 34g line is best but some would prefer a 38g, lovely finish as well

glenelg100

Reaction score
Spent a fair bit of time testing these last year and I had the 14'. These are seriously good rods especially at the price, for me a 34g line is best but some would prefer a 38g, lovely finish as well

Do you know is there is a big difference n the rod action compared to the marksman 2.
Thankyou

Chicharito

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see other people's recommendations.
I bought one as a spare rod to my Hardy Demon 14ft 9ins #10/11
but it's very different and I haven't mastered it at all.
I have plenty of lines to try it with but it didn't cope with a fairly strong wind in my face last week on the bottom Tweed.

ballintemple

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting one of the above rods as they have been reduced in price by quite a lot, it would be a back up rod so I don’t want to drift too far away action wise from my day to day rod as I get along not to bad casting wise not catching wise .I currently use a ( Hardy marksman 2 T ), so anyone who can give any advice/comparisons, it would be most appreciated.

Thankyou Ian

I have one, the 14' #9, bought as a back up.

It was great on a broad rivers, with 37 gram, 12-13m heads up to S3. The fast action suited that set up.

glenelg100

Reaction score
I have one, the 14' #9, bought as a back up.

It was great on a broad rivers, with 37 gram, 12-13m heads up to S3. The fast action suited that set up.

Would you class the rod as a tippy type of rod or would you say it was softish, flexing all the way to the but. Thanks

jimmylong

Reaction score
Ian i have a 14ft greys xf2 t as a back up which is more like your every day rod ,if you dont like the gr70 action i could swap you as i never use it

Chicharito

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see other people's recommendations.
I bought one as a spare rod to my Hardy Demon 14ft 9ins #10/11
but it's very different and I haven't mastered it at all.
I have plenty of lines to try it with but it didn't cope with a fairly strong wind in my face last week on the bottom Tweed.

Took the rod out again on the Bottom Tweed. Conditions were much more favourable than last week. I fished with a Gaelforce #10 Integrated Shooting head (39g) and a 10ft fast sinking poly leader and 3 1/2ft 12lb leader. Took a while to get a feel for the rod after fishing the 14ft 9ins Demon all season. But once I got a feel for it I was well impressed. The line was perfect in my opinion and once I got the timing right it was a real pleasure to use. It will definitely be a rod to use on calmer days. Glad I bought it now. What a difference a week makes!

glenelg100

Reaction score
Took the rod out again on the Bottom Tweed. Conditions were much more favourable than last week. I fished with a Gaelforce #10 Integrated Shooting head (39g) and a 10ft fast sinking poly leader and 3 1/2ft 12lb leader. Took a while to get a feel for the rod after fishing the 14ft 9ins Demon all season. But once I got a feel for it I was well impressed. The line was perfect in my opinion and once I got the timing right it was a real pleasure to use. It will definitely be a rod to use on calmer days. Glad I bought it now. What a difference a week makes!

Did you find it quite easy to adjust, I am thinking just to go for it and enjoy the challenge.

Last edited:

Chicharito

Reaction score
Did you find it quite easy to adjust, I am thinking just to go for it and enjoy the challenge.

Yes I did. Conditions were perfect with next to no wind and I adapted to it very quickly. Timing I felt needs to be a bit more spot on. The Demon is more forgiving and effortless but is a rod that is more than twice the price. I paid £250 for the gr70 which is basically the Hardy Swift MKII and in my opinion is money well spent. Its extremely well made and the cork handle is probably better quality than the Demon. All in all a great rod. Not cutting edge anymore but definitely a rod that will get used rather than a rod that will be kept in the boot 'just in case'.
For me, I always prefer to go a line up so the Gaelforce #10 integrated shooting head was spot on t on.

Niccancatch

Reaction score
Yes I did. Conditions were perfect with next to no wind and I adapted to it very quickly. Timing I felt needs to be a bit more spot on. The Demon is more forgiving and effortless but is a rod that is more than twice the price. I paid £250 for the gr70 which is basically the Hardy Swift MKII and in my opinion is money well spent. Its extremely well made and the cork handle is probably better quality than the Demon. All in all a great rod. Not cutting edge anymore but definitely a rod that will get used rather than a rod that will be kept in the boot 'just in case'.
For me, I always prefer to go a line up so the Gaelforce #10 integrated shooting head was spot on t on.

Thanks Paul, you have just made my mind up regarding this rod. For the money, worth a punt.

glenelg100

Reaction score

I tend to go a line up also, the rod would be a back up as I really like the Marksman 2 T, but I sometimes set 2 rods up and potterabout with both.

NEbody

Reaction score
I tried a 14’ GR70 at a ‘try a rod’ session the other day with a 580gr Rio Scandi and it worked nicely: I’d happily use one but I’ve never cast a Marksman 2t so can’t say how it compares.

I also tried a lighter Rio Scandi on a 13’ GR60 and was impressed. I’d like to try the 14’ version of that: the current offers on the GR70 make it about the same price as the GR60.

glenelg100

Reaction score
I tried a 14’ GR70 at a ‘try a rod’ session the other day with a 580gr Rio Scandi and it worked nicely: I’d happily use one but I’ve never cast a Marksman 2t so can’t say how it compares.

I also tried a lighter Rio Scandi on a 13’ GR60 and was impressed. I’d like to try the 14’ version of that: the current offers on the GR70 make it about the same price as the GR60.

The GR70 has been reduced in price, not to many weeks ago it was £400 ish,

P!scator

Reaction score

Thankyou Ian

Hi Ian, if you want a back up I'd suggest the GR70 6 piece, 14'6" travel rod, will give you loads of flexibility & cbe tucked away. I took one to Russia in my bag & used it all week with a #9/10 Hardy rocket shopoting head - Great set up

Cheers

Stewart

D

Deleted member 945

Does anyone know how this rod compares to the old XF2 scandi? I have that in the 12 foot version and it’s a lovely little rod, light and quite fast actioned. Looking for a cheapish 13 footer.

Also anyone tried the GR60?

glenelg100

Reaction score
Does anyone know how this rod compares to the old XF2 scandi? I have that in the 12 foot version and it’s a lovely little rod, light and quite fast actioned. Looking for a cheapish 13 footer.

Also anyone tried the GR60?

I have just got a gr70 14’ , but not cast it as yet. I also have a , XF2 T , 13’ 8#, in vg good condition if you are interested

D

Deleted member 945

I have just got a gr70 14’ , but not cast it as yet. I also have a , XF2 T , 13’ 8#, in vg good condition if you are interested

Thanks for the offer but I would be after the scandi version