Good to see some work going on despite covid

SOS

Reaction score
As covid carries on affecting our lives it is good to see the Dee partnership working on improvements.

SOS

Reaction score
Weeks 4 and 5 now on their web site,project was also featured on landward bbc scotland this week.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Weeks 4 and 5 now on their web site,project was also featured on landward bbc scotland this week.
Just brilliant and I don’t know why but I’m always amazed how fast nature settles in after given the right habitat?
Ribble Trust has done something similar and perhaps surprisingly it was Grayling that first made use of the fish passes and many miles of new river. I’m now catching bright silver smolts in April/May. Given he fact that a group of males will fight over a female I can’t believe that just one pair are getting up?
It’s criminal how many miles of spawning streams/rivers have been straightened and ruined as the lifeblood of the system.

Andrew B

Reaction score
This is exactly the sort of collaborative project we need. Forming conservation alliances with mainstream conservation organisations will achieve a great deal more than demanding culls of predators and CR.
Yep I’ve been an RSPB member forever but they don’t seem to bothered. Someone told me on holiday there was an alternative bird club that is more science based?

SOS

Reaction score
The land belonged to the guy who owns the diggers that were used Mcintosh plant,so good PR and advertising for him and his company.
Weeks 6,7 &8 now on web_site

Eminem

Reaction score
Been great following this project. Loved the fact that a seatrout entered the new "system" almost immediately after the inlet and outlet channels were opened up. Flippin' marvelous stuff.

Walleye

Reaction score
There are long stretches of the River Wear that are just like that, with agricultural land pushed as close to the river as possible. Also many burns and becks which have been canalised and just spew fine silt into the river and are completely silted up for long stretches. I would love to see more extensive work like this taking place on the Wear. Not just for the fish but for all river users.

goosander

Reaction score
Thanks to field and moor drainage ideas the small burns that the trout used to spawn in are all now dry in the summer. Some have grown over with grass etc. Sad as in my youth we used to go up the burns at the end of the season and clear them out to leave them ready for the fish.
We seam to have wasted our planet my generation.
Bob.