Good runs!

Loxie

Reaction score
Good runs? Not in the Westcountry of England. Haven't heard of much in Wales. How's N Ireland doing? Maybe they'll start tomorrow.
There's a few fish in the Exe but mainly lower down. I've got fish in one of my beats but can't catch them!!

Dunbar

Reaction score
Fish off upper Tweed at Cardrona today. Water levels quite low as well. Fish seem well spread out which is great news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Despite the Aberdeenshire Don being in the minus figures level wise, heard of a couple more spanking fresh fish this evening! Well done to the anglers involved. Decent sized fish too...all in double figures.
Well the westie and the southie still on their bones mate hopefully that big dump of rain today is still to register. Thought I might of seen you the morn too.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
The Avon is still showing some good numbers, some big fish too, a few grilse, but surprisingly they all seem to want to run high up the river, not any numbers holding in the usual spots as yet.

ArchieL

Reaction score
Tweed catches look to be really good , If the theory about returning to Spring Dominance is happenning ? Am i correct in thinking there would be a period where the late spring and summer would be dominant before runs finally change back to spring dominance. Are we seeing this now ? And is this what is happening with the back end runs which appear to have disapeared ? I think it is very interesting and we could debate it all day as you will never know what is happening. For the record my local rivers Teith & Forth show no signs of the improved late spring early summer runs being experienced in some other rivers and this is despite decent water last week. I live in hope.

Last edited:

keirross

Reaction score
Tweed catches look to be really good , If the theory about returning to Spring Dominance is happenning ? Am i correct in thinking there would be a period where the late spring and summer would be dominant before runs finally change back to spring dominance. Are we seeing this now ? And is this what is happening with the back end runs which appear to have disapeared ? I think it is very interesting and we could debate it all day as you will never know what is happening. For the record my local rivers Teith & Forth show no signs of the improved late spring early summer runs being experienced in some other rivers and this is despite decent water last week. I live in hope.
I'll bite, ArchieL about Forth and Teith.

Forestry. Hundreds of thousands of acres systematically blanketed into an essentially monocultured cash crop. It's been market time nowadays for the present gov tax-break 'initiative', hence lots of felling. That's a lot of water got sooked up, incorporated to be transpired now left to abysmal hillside erosion and inevitable mismanaged and ignorant (but well funded) results.

Cyclicity amongst marine fish stocks and salmon globally is well known and appears strongly related to ocean temperatures. (Wot, heresy?!) In our case, North Atlantic Ocean, it appears to shift between about 30yrs warming into 30 years or so cooling. Pacific's much the same. About a degree C heat content within top 2000 feet. Currently, NA ocean is 'cooling' in parts eg. not off Newfoundland - with attendant major implications on plankton numbers, density flows, prevailing ocean/wind currents etc.

There again, Forth's still got the killer (at times) oxygen sag at key times...

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Hi Mike

Reluctant as I am to challenge your arguments I must. You say that the chances of "inshore fishing fleet having a major impact on salmon populations are mathematically very low." You do understand that migratory fish travel in well-defined and well-know paths along shorelines? Have you spent much time in SW Ireland? Where all catch data is fiction as illegal netting is still rife? Believe me, I'd love to be wrong and convinced that this is mother nature on an upswing. Whatever the cause there is a good run in the south of Ireland right now - one modest fishery had 56 last Monday. Nature may have rebounded but it seems daft to me to discount the absence, or at least great reduction of inshore netting as a factor in this sudden rejuvenation.

Like so many things around salmon, we will never know for sure... but if we open our eyes we might have an idea

best.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Ah Jack!
I had a suspicion that you might be addressing me so I went back to check what I said. it looks like I failed to differentiate between net fishery targeting a range of species, which generally doesn't do much to salmon, and inshore netting, which can.

However, some moons ago when I was researching the Findhorn and Deveron catch data, I posted two graphs of rod catches and their moving averages with the dates removed, and challenged readers to identify when the local inshore and estuarine netting ceased. Put simply there appeared to be no direct correlation between the cessation of netting and subsequent rod catches. That said, the key point about near shore netting is that it is all inherently mixed stock (i.e. drawn from more than one river) owing to the nature of salmon transit, as you rightly point out. On that basis the removal of near shore netting should have an effect on rod catches across all rivers in the region, but the Scottish evidence suggests that the gains tend to be concealed in the year-to-year variations.

Mother Nature doesn't work in straight lines and has good and bad years. Luck and random events have an awful lot to do with salmon numbers, and in a complex system with so many interacting factors we often get surprised. After the disaster of 2009, the bonanza of 2011 came out of the blue.

nickolas

Reaction score
What are the chances of the increased salmon river catch being up due to fishing fleets being held in port due to Covid 19 therefore limited by-catch.
or
Does anybody have data on the actual salmon runs being up ref in river counters or is it the rivers have less pressure and therefore the fish are less spooked and more inclined to take the fly.

Cyclops

Reaction score
Paul the Octopus would have known. He was a common octopus used to predict the results of association football matches. His accurate predictions in the 2010 World Cup brought him worldwide attention as an animal oracle. During divinations, Paul's keepers would present him with two boxes containing food. The boxes were identical except that they were decorated with the different team flags of the competitors in an upcoming football match. Whichever box Paul ate from first was considered his prediction for which team would win the match. He had an exemplary record in his predictions. I dare say if a similar exercise with one box saying more salmon due to fishing fleet being laid up due COVID, and one with natural salmon cycles, then Paul would have revealed the answer. For those that are interested, poor Paul`s life ended on the 26th October 2010 having lived for around 2.5 years, then he was chopped up and eaten in a sushi bar.