Good news on FEB research on the Tweed

ArchieL

Reaction score
Good news and hopefully leads to licenses being approved all over Scotland anywhere near a salmon river to shoot these birds without granting silly limits which achieve almost nothing considering how successful they are at reproducing and depleting salmon/Sea trout stocks as a result.

What i do not get is the RSPB & twitchers get real excited and flock from all corners of the UK to see a rare bird in the wild ? Well just let us salmon anglers and keepers/Ghillies reduce the numbers of FEB's to the point where a sighting is rare and then they will all be happy when they eventually see one . I bet just now they do not even bother going out to look at one as they are that common and exploding in numbers due to the stupid protection status given to them. I hope the guns on the Tweed reduce them to almost 0 if being honest. My local river is now plagued with them all year round and that is from top to bottom of the fresh water, Hundreds of thousands of parr not even getting a chance to return.

SOS

Reaction score
This is great news at last something might be done to halt the devastation that these birds are doing to our fish.Any dead goosander is a bonus and with each one killed hundreds of fish will be saved.But why stop in May(maybe because it is the breeding season)and anything is better than nothing,in Winter when the rivers in Iceland,Norway,Finland and Russia ect are frozen over we in the U.K see an increase of these birds by four fold so if there is a limit to the amount of birds that can be culled by doing it in the Winter there is only a 1 in 4 chance that a bird killed will be a resident which because they are here all year round will eat twice as many fish as a 6 month winter visitor,but they all eat fish so each one counts.