Good book

heather point

Reaction score
I have read a lot of books about salmon fishing and by far the most interesting is " A Rod Well Bent " by R. N. Lochhead.
Not an instructional book but but just his memories of a life spent salmon fishing in Scotland in the time before and after the second world war.
It was first published in 1951 and there are still copies available from second hand book sellers.
I had always wanted to meet him, especially as in later life I fished many of the rivers he describes and eventually I discovered that he lived in Birnam on the Tay and his local beat was probably Newtyle but it was too late by then.

SJF

Reaction score
Don't bother. Righyni had a unique capacity for catching salmon, but instead of just accepting the fact, he created a theory to underpin his success, which to be frank, is complete non-scientific garbage. It's a great pity because he could have written a really good instructional book based on his techniques rather than his thoughts.
You are right MCX - it is utter bollox. I couldn't believe he was serious when I first read it...

meyre

Reaction score
All good …
Try Michael Wigan 'The Salmon' published 2013 - Life cycle, history, threats, mystique ...passionate and punchy...probably not popular in Marine Harvest /Mowi's HQ.
You can have one delivered for less than a pint of McEwan's

Oh yes Righyni ...palpable tosh....useful only for lighting stoves. A Tosh on the other hand is really useful!

meyre

Reaction score
Also and surprisingly.....published 1931 and reprinted up to 1970's

'Salmon Fishing' By Tavener & Others ( probably Pryce-Tannatt, AHE Wood, Hutton, Chaytor and perhaps St Peter )
Lonsdale Library.

It is an easy read , really! Can be had for £5-8

It's got everything. Even very clear instructions and drawings of how to cast a fly , together with solid advice which works now . Nice example given p. 158 ,on choosing a fly, ;'' On several occasions I have found a large dark fly is taken, when it is offered from the deep side of the river, and only a small light fly is accepted from the opposite ( shallow ) bank.

Tavener caught 000's of fish and I am certainly going to try that.