Good Afternoon from Abergavenny, Goytre !

LeeMee

Reaction score
Hi all thought i would join up after reading some posts from my local area and really wanting to get back out river fishing after a little while away, i enjoy many types of fishing but i've always wanted to catch sea trout and a Salmon. As i live pretty much right by the Chainbridge and being a member of Merthyr Tydfil Angling Association there is the option of booking in to fish 3 stretches of the Usk.
These stretches i have very rarely seen much fishing activity so would like to get to know some of the locals that fish it so they won't be put out or unsure of myself when i'm on the bank as i know what it can be like with new faces ect. I am a catch and release angler but would love a bit of info on what to look out for and issues with unwanted situations and who to contact should i come across any bankside.
After reading on how the fish stocks are dwindling id like to help out where i can also.
Goes without saying that i have the correct rod licence for migratory fish but i will be having a wander around an possibly booking in for 1 of the stretches over the next few weeks if they are opened back up.

Any way i've gone on enough if any of you are still awake ha ! All the best Liam

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I've not fished it but the Abergavenny town stretch is shared between three clubs (Merthyr Tydfil, ISCA and Crickhowell) and as well as salmon has some good trout. A quick between all three club pages will give you details of effective flies and methods.

LeeMee

Reaction score
Thats good to know the clubs that share it and i will have a browse to compare info, i do fly fish but my main enjoyment is spinning after spending my years growing up on the Taff worming fly fishing and spinning.

Richardgw

Reaction score
Welcome Liam,

I am a fellow member of MTAA albeit one from across the border in England so I am currently not allowed to visit. Pity as with the current river levels we could see the first significant salmon runs of the season into the middle river and the Usk provides some of the best trout fishing in the UK.

Under the new NRW restrictions we are allowed fly/spin and have a window for a whole two weeks – yes A WHOLE TWO WEEKS!!! - from 1st to 15th September for use of shrimp/prawn. This is for salmon. It is slightly different for sea trout but the Usk is not a sea trout river. Yes they get a few but that is all.

MTAA offer excellent value and as you live on the door step you have every chance to really get to know the waters. Take heart, salmon fishing is not easy it takes time, but it is the locals that catch the majority of the fish as it is they who are able to take advantage of changing conditions especially on a spate river which is how I think of the Usk.

Richard

LeeMee

Reaction score
Welcome Liam,

I am a fellow member of MTAA albeit one from across the border in England so I am currently not allowed to visit. Pity as with the current river levels we could see the first significant salmon runs of the season into the middle river and the Usk provides some of the best trout fishing in the UK.

Under the new NRW restrictions we are allowed fly/spin and have a window for a whole two weeks – yes A WHOLE TWO WEEKS!!! - from 1st to 15th September for use of shrimp/prawn. This is for salmon. It is slightly different for sea trout but the Usk is not a sea trout river. Yes they get a few but that is all.

MTAA offer excellent value and as you live on the door step you have every chance to really get to know the waters. Take heart, salmon fishing is not easy it takes time, but it is the locals that catch the majority of the fish as it is they who are able to take advantage of changing conditions especially on a spate river which is how I think of the Usk.

Richard
Just stopped off at Llanellen Bridge not far from the town stretch nice depth and not too fast or deep after the rain recently.
Thanks for the info on the shrimp I will have to give it a try, I know when I was out in Florida the fish went crazy for it hope that Salmon are the same.
After fishing all my life and having these stretches on my doorstep it would be rude not to fish them.
I will try and upload as many pics when I’m out and about and maybe I’ll start a thread for the stretches where people can add to it ?
Thanks Liam

Attachments

LeeMee

Reaction score
Getting in the water and getting a feel on the Kemeys stretch, few brown trout on the nymphs but gauging depth and sussing the river out. It's a lovely stretch and easy to wade. New 10ft no 8 rod didn't like the no 6 line its too light, new no 8 line on order. So much wildlife down there lots of mink and kingfishers. Saw a good shoal of white lipped mullet up there also maybe 20-30 or so.

Attachments

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Liam,

As you see, a very active and friendly bunch here. I can't be of any local assistance and as things are currently can't even visit so best I can do is to say welcome to the best forum for salmon fishermen on the www

Ard

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum buddy , from all the lads up in Scotland liam , I’m sure you’ll soon be letting us see your first forum salmon pictures soon. Welcome again buddy. Tight lines. jimmythefish.

sewinfly

Reaction score
Getting in the water and getting a feel on the Kemeys stretch, few brown trout on the nymphs but gauging depth and sussing the river out. It's a lovely stretch and easy to wade. New 10ft no 8 rod didn't like the no 6 line its too light, new no 8 line on order. So much wildlife down there lots of mink and kingfishers. Saw a good shoal of white lipped mullet up there also maybe 20-30 or so.
They would of been thick lipped mullet, thats a fair way up river to for them.
Not seen many lower down this season or there again not fished for 3 months !!

Sewinfly.................

Cyclops

Reaction score
Can’t not say hello to you when I’ve said welcome to other newbies, enjoy