Gold bodied Willie gunns

Woodsy

Reaction score
I posted here about a year ago with my first attempt at this fly and since then I had tried a few times but never managed to finish a proper fly that looked normal.

Bit the bullet again this week determined 💪

One was tied using Davy McPhails video but I found it difficult tying the black after without the waxed line slippnig forward.

The second I missed all 3 colours together and it worked a little easier

The next 2 I cheated and tied them in top and bottom. Anyone have much success with this style? Does it swim as well?

They are all tied on 3/4 copper tubes with mid to late spring in mind

Hope you like em 👍

20211024_210603.jpg
20211024_210337.jpg

SnapT14

Reaction score
I posted here about a year ago with my first attempt at this fly and since then I had tried a few times but never managed to finish a proper fly that looked normal.

One was tied using Davy McPhails video but I found it difficult tying the black after without the waxed line slippnig forward.

The next 2 I cheated and tied them in top and bottom. Anyone have much success with this style? Does it swim as well?

Hope you like em 👍

View attachment 67341View attachment 67342
Those are fab

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score

Hope you like em 👍

View attachment 67341View attachment 67342
Look fantastic.
put some feelers on a couple and try them ;) (y)

Hoddom

Reaction score
Look fantastic.
put some feelers on a couple and try them ;) (y)
they look great and for sure will catch fish. Part of the fun of tying is doing your own thing, creating your own patterns and catching with them. So, dont get in a pickle trying too hard to copy.
The more you tie the better you’ll get at technique so just enjoy yourself and relax.
I usually find that the more I tie the better. if I don’t do it fo a few weeks then it’s difficu and I’m fingers and thumbs. Then after 20 mins it comes back. Often the first fly I do in a session will be poor - the brain has to zone in
so keep at it, those flies you tied are v good and with practice you’re going to be turning out a whole range of different complex patterns

best tip I had was to remember to keep the tip of the bobbin vey close to the hook/fly so there’s only a very short length of thread between the too. That helps keep control and maintain even tension all the time as you wrap
goid luck!

charlieH

Reaction score
Nice flies, which would have every chance of taking a spring fish if you can find one to show them to!

In terms of tying the hair in top and bottom, I sometimes blend the orange and yellow and tie it in two opposing bunches - at 12 and 6 o'clock, so to speak - and try to spread it around the tube a bit. Then the black hair also goes on in two bunches at 3 and 9 o'clock, and again is spread around a bit (and if you're using JC that can go at 12 and 6 again). The end result should be a balanced fly with a more or less even spread of hair all round, but with either the black or the orange and yellow a bit more dominant from particular angles. I don't particularly like those so-called Willie Gunns where the hair is tied in very distinct, unblended blocks (you often see this in scandi-style flies tied with hair such as fox which doesn't mix well) - the impressionistic blend of colours is, I think, one of the essences of the fly. But on the other hand I do also quite like then not being totally uniform all round. But just tying top and bottom is fine, too, and creates a similar effect.

Another variant that I use, particularly on larger tubes, is to tie the wing in two distinct stages, a bit like a Comet or such like. The way I do it, the rear 2/3rds or so of the body is gold tinsel, and then the blended orange and yellow hair goes on. Then a further shorter section of body (usually black), followed by a black wing. Again, I usually tie the two layers of wing in quarters, at 12 & 6, 3 & 9 as described above. I find this can help when you want quite a heavily dressed fly that has 'impact', without ending up with too crowded a head.

The attached picture shows flies I just picked out of my box; they're probably not the clearest, but the top one has the hair tied in quarters at the head, and the bottom two have the wing in two sections - hopefully they illustrate what I've tried to describe.

IMG_1213.jpg

Woodsy

Reaction score
Very nice !!
Thanks Henke 👍
they look great and for sure will catch fish. Part of the fun of tying is doing your own thing, creating your own patterns and catching with them. So, dont get in a pickle trying too hard to copy.
The more you tie the better you’ll get at technique so just enjoy yourself and relax.
I usually find that the more I tie the better. if I don’t do it fo a few weeks then it’s difficu and I’m fingers and thumbs. Then after 20 mins it comes back. Often the first fly I do in a session will be poor - the brain has to zone in
so keep at it, those flies you tied are v good and with practice you’re going to be turning out a whole range of different complex patterns

best tip I had was to remember to keep the tip of the bobbin vey close to the hook/fly so there’s only a very short length of thread between the too. That helps keep control and maintain even tension all the time as you wrap
goid luck!
Thanks for the advice! Can't remember where the bobbin was when tying 🤦‍♂️

Woodsy

Reaction score
Nice flies, which would have every chance of taking a spring fish if you can find one to show them to!

In terms of tying the hair in top and bottom, I sometimes blend the orange and yellow and tie it in two opposing bunches - at 12 and 6 o'clock, so to speak - and try to spread it around the tube a bit. Then the black hair also goes on in two bunches at 3 and 9 o'clock, and again is spread around a bit (and if you're using JC that can go at 12 and 6 again). The end result should be a balanced fly with a more or less even spread of hair all round, but with either the black or the orange and yellow a bit more dominant from particular angles. I don't particularly like those so-called Willie Gunns where the hair is tied in very distinct, unblended blocks (you often see this in scandi-style flies tied with hair such as fox which doesn't mix well) - the impressionistic blend of colours is, I think, one of the essences of the fly. But on the other hand I do also quite like then not being totally uniform all round. But just tying top and bottom is fine, too, and creates a similar effect.

Another variant that I use, particularly on larger tubes, is to tie the wing in two distinct stages, a bit like a Comet or such like. The way I do it, the rear 2/3rds or so of the body is gold tinsel, and then the blended orange and yellow hair goes on. Then a further shorter section of body (usually black), followed by a black wing. Again, I usually tie the two layers of wing in quarters, at 12 & 6, 3 & 9 as described above. I find this can help when you want quite a heavily dressed fly that has 'impact', without ending up with too crowded a head.

The attached picture shows flies I just picked out of my box; they're probably not the clearest, but the top one has the hair tied in quarters at the head, and the bottom two have the wing in two sections - hopefully they illustrate what I've tried to describe.

View attachment 67362
Thanks very much for the reply 👍 Lovely looking set there! Will definitely look into this style. I've also heard of the drowned mouse tied similar which is meant to be deadly

gwelsher

Reaction score

Crackers Sean especially the 2 you have mixed.

gwelsher

Reaction score

Interesting method Charlie. Easier way to balance the amount of Black and minimise the bulk at the head, I will have to give that style a go.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Cracking Gunn's woodsy 👍 they'll take fish no doubt about that🎣

I've probably tyed over a housand Willie Gunn's I've always mixed the orange and yellow
and put the black over , I also vary the amount of orange and yellow depending on conditions

You'll find a few 🙄🙄 i've posted if you look through my old threads

Woodsy

Reaction score
Crackers Sean especially the 2 you have mixed.
Thanks Gary 👍
Cracking Gunn's woodsy 👍 they'll take fish no doubt about that🎣

I've probably tyed over a housand Willie Gunn's I've always mixed the orange and yellow
and put the black over , I also vary the amount of orange and yellow depending on conditions

You'll find a few 🙄🙄 i've posted if you look through my old threads
Thanks Lamon. Yup I've seen plenty of your creation, look fantastic. Think I stole your glo brite head style sub concontiously 😂