Go to fly for peaty rivers?

lax0341

Reaction score
Garry Dog with a long wing, a Cascade with a lot of yellow and red in it or a Ghillie.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Calvin shrimp on a gold hook for me.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Anything with a glo brite head and tag.
In really heavy water i like a teple dog with a fluro pink tag. It dosent look much but a bright spot seems to make quite a diffrence.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rennie

Reaction score
I used to love Davie McPhail's Peaty Man on little tubes. Rather negligently, have forgotten the tying of it and I'm out of stock!
Have to say I do agree with the inclusion of Hot Spot's on flee's, in the form of heads, tags, tails whatever!.
Pedro

D

Deleted member 21851

What is the most visible colour in heavily peat stained water? I assume the OP is about the Tees which is normally black tea in the upper reaches, from memory.

And what size...do you go bigger in the low visibility?

MCXFisher

Reaction score
IMG_5286.jpg

Jockiescott

Reaction score
What is the most visible colour in heavily peat stained water? I assume the OP is about the Tees which is normally black tea in the upper reaches, from memory.

I'm not sure you can be extremely specific about what size to fish without knowing many other variables.

Even in gin clear water, you can use a much smaller fly in calm, slow water than in a heavy stream for example. The same applies in coloured water.

Think of what you'd fish in 'perfect' water and work from there.

I don't like to fish with massive flies and it's amazing what you'll hook, in water that you wouldn't call clean, on a size 6.

A size 8 would be a big fly for me now but my pools go very flat, very quickly after a spate.

Tees88

Reaction score
Kylie shrimp . Red francis later in the season. Foxford shrimp too
I've not seen that pattern before, very nice indeed. I will be adding it to my box for sure.
Girnal shrimp or Ghillie
Do you have any images of a Girnal Shrimp?
I used to love Davie McPhail's Peaty Man on little tubes. Rather negligently, have forgotten the tying of it and I'm out of stock!
Have to say I do agree with the inclusion of Hot Spot's on flee's, in the form of heads, tags, tails whatever!.
Pedro
Any pics Rennie?

MCXFisher

Reaction score

It depends on the light level and the angle of elevation of the sun, which together determine the brightness under the surface.
Peat stained water absorbs the red element of the spectrum very quickly, causing red and orange flies to appear much fuller than they do in air.
Any fly above the fish will appear mostly as a dark outline as the underside is in shadow.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I've not seen that pattern before, very nice indeed. I will be adding it to my box for sure.

Do you have any images of a Girnal Shrimp?

Any pics Rennie?
Girnal in here:

Ghillie and Girnal are both by Phil’s brother Roger 🤣🤣🤣