Go to coloured water fly

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
What’s yours?
I would normally go flamethrower or something bright like that but was interested to hear a Ghillie on the Spey swore by a pure black fly in dirty low visibility.

charlieH

Reaction score
The Oystercatcher was originally designed with coloured water in mind. It's mainly black, so will have a strong silhouette, but includes some white for maximum contrast, and also has bright orange in the tail and a 'hotspot' head of Globrite no. 4 fluorescent floss. So you might say it has all the bases covered!

Jockiescott

Reaction score
The black would make sense to me too, creating as strong a silhouette as possible in those conditions.

Still won’t outfish a spinner though.

More fish are caught on spinner than fly in dirty water because more people spin in those conditions. I remember landing 3 one day in dirty water and those spinning never had a touch.

Pattern, for me, very much depends on what setup I have with me. A floating line, I'll use a darker pattern. Fishing deeper, I'll use something brighter.

The good old Cascade is a good one for me when fished a bit deeper.

I had a sea trout today on DrPatrickT's Fish Tank Shrimp when everyone else was spinning in the dirty water.

mows

Reaction score
More fish are caught on spinner than fly in dirty water because more people spin in those conditions. I remember landing 3 one day in dirty water and those spinning never had a touch.

Pattern, for me, very much depends on what setup I have with me. A floating line, I'll use a darker pattern. Fishing deeper, I'll use something brighter.

The good old Cascade is a good one for me when fished a bit deeper.

I had a sea trout today on DrPatrickT's Fish Tank Shrimp when everyone else was spinning in the dirty water.
Lost a grilse and a salmon on a DrP Fishtank Shrimp this morning.
It was glowing in the coloured water.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Defenately my favourite for coloured water.
IMG_20210807_141328.jpg

MCXFisher

Reaction score
As others have said, predominantly black to provide a detectable silhouette. In low light levels, yellow to enhance the contrast, otherwise orange to break up the outline.

Note that coloured water absorbs a tremendous amount of the red component of the spectrum: a fish viewing an orange or red fly from 2 metres distant will actually observe less than half the colour. Moreover, if it is viewing the fly from below, the underside is in relative shadow and thus appears black or grey depending on the prevailing light level.

You will find a fuller explanation of all this in 'Sparkling Water'.

Rrrr

Reaction score
As others have said, predominantly black to provide a detectable silhouette. In low light levels, yellow to enhance the contrast, otherwise orange to break up the outline.

Note that coloured water absorbs a tremendous amount of the red component of the spectrum: a fish viewing an orange or red fly from 2 metres distant will actually observe less than half the colour. Moreover, if it is viewing the fly from below, the underside is in relative shadow and thus appears black or grey depending on the prevailing light level.

You will find a fuller explanation of all this in 'Sparkling Water'.
Any views on flies with pink in ? I find it to be one of the better colours for heavy peat stain after a flood. Either in a calvin shrimp or just a hot pink tag on a temple dog.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Any views on flies with pink in ? I find it to be one of the better colours for heavy peat stain after a flood. Either in a calvin shrimp or just a hot pink tag on a temple dog.

I've had fish on Calvin's in dirty water. Park Shrimp too.

Hooked 6 in one morning on a park shrimp tied on a size 7 salar. The water wasn't what you'd call clean that morning either. I never even got one of them close enough to me to get a look at. 🤦‍♂️

There were a few choice words flying about that morning I can tell you! 🤬

Rrrr

Reaction score
I've had fish on Calvin's in dirty water. Park Shrimp too.

Hooked 6 in one morning on a park shrimp tied on a size 7 salar. The water wasn't what you'd call clean that morning either. I never even got one of them close enough to me to get a look at.

There were a few choice words flying about that morning I can tell you!
I get quite a few of my fish on calvins but then again its my go to fly from about june onwards so im using it more than other patterns.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I tied this last season during the lockdown. My idea was Calvin's colours in a more traditional style.

When we finally got water, I tied it on the first time I fished in a big spate, still carrying colour, and lost a fish and landed a sea trout.

IMG_20210807_150319.jpg

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Stunning tying that is , if it were dressed on a shorter hook it would be a contender for TOTM ,Far Side ?
One thing that appeals to me , different from all the rest ? No Jungle Cock cheeks(y) The winging is class JC would ruin it

It's a big hook alright. Ken Sawada size 2 Spey hook. 😁

I thought about doing something like that for TOTM but wouldn't really have hackles I could add to make it more of what, I think, a spey fly should look like.