Gnat/Beetle types

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
For twitching or static on the near shore wind lanes
View attachment 45199
Crackers. You've just solved something for me - for a 'top only' Griffith Gnat - - use a 'badger' type feather and then clip short to the black on the underside so it's same length as herl - (y) - probably bloody obvious -but seeing photo sparked something. Cheers dude.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Crackers. You've just solved something for me - for a 'top only' Griffith Gnat - - use a 'badger' type feather and then clip short to the black on the underside so it's same length as herl - (y) - probably bloody obvious -but seeing photo sparked something. Cheers dude.
That was my thinking DrP, these should sit that bit deeper and "hang" in the surface / wind lanes when the upper wing is ginked up.
As an aside, i have tried using Fabsil gold waterproofing that I use on jackets etc in the upper wing, it's a silicone based liquid and once dried, it makes a really durable floatant , just a bit tedious applying and letting them dry lol.
Cheers
Cb

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Those are beauties. I like the fact that you’ll be able to see them more easily than a foam beetle too.
Thanks Iain,
It will be easy enough to add a bright yarn "post" to the body if needed.
In fact, I'm going to do similar as these are for loch/still water work and it's nice to see positioning in a wave or longer cast👍

iainmortimer

Reaction score
It could be worth playing with a paraloop wing too for although you’ll have hackle out the side that won’t be too different to a soft hackled foam beetle in profile.

Last edited: