Glenfarclas shrimp

SnapT14

Reaction score
First ever go at a Glenfarclas..

I really like the look of it so will be giving it a swim this spring.

20210102_114421.jpg

Andrzej

Reaction score
Very nice. I tied recently this pattern, for the first time as well, but didn't like it too much. This fly looks much much better than mine (y)

charlieH

Reaction score
This is one of my favourite flies, and yours is a really nicely tied example. The only comment I'd make - and it's no criticism of your tying - is that I have found that, particularly in larger sizes, the long wing can be inclined to get caught round the hook. I hate it when you reel in at the end of a pool to find that the wing is tucked under one leg of the double and you realise that the fly hasn't been swimming straight for heaven knows how long :mad: .

So for the past couple of years I've been tying my Glenfarclases flamethrower-style. I use a second orange hackle to support the wing, and tie them in a little further forward than you might otherwise do for a flamethrower (so that there's about 2/3 or even 3/4 of the body behind and only 1/3 or 1/4 in front). Having two hackles instead of one means that you need to go a bit easy on the number of turns to keep the overall colour balance right, but otherwise at a casual glance you'd hardly notice that they weren't tied in the conventional style. I do think that, with long winged patterns like this, moving the tying-in point a bit further back on the shank helps prevent it wrapping round the hook.