Glen Lough / Lough Beagh in Donegal (Lackagh system)

Storkus

Reaction score
Anyone know how this system has fished recently for Salmon and Seatrout?

Thinking of giving it a go before the end of the season, and was wondering if it is worth my while.

Any info appreciated.

Storkus

Reaction score
Hello Storkus,

I may be wrong but I think this system is currently closed.

Fishing in Ireland. An angler's guide to the best fishing in Ireland.

Maybe the loughs are open.

I used to be a member on the Lackagh as a boy and consider it the most torturous place I've ever fished. A beautiful short river usually full of salmon jumping mad but looking at nothing.

Closed for Salmon fishing, your right, but Sea trout are still available.
I'd be fishing C&R, so if I managed a fish it would be going back anyway.

Was down around Lackagh bridge and Doe castle this time last year and Salmon and Sea trout bouncing about all over the place, awaiting some water, and there's been no shortage of that recently.

Thought of fishing on Lough Beagh up at Glenveagh national park, scenery is worth it alone.

I know of a couple of forum members going this Saturday so await their report, with anticipation.

Captain Hook

Reaction score
I think the lough at Glenveagh can only be fished from a boat unless I'm mistaken. It might be an idea to check that out. But I agree it would be worth it for the surroundings alone,a magical place.

Storkus

Reaction score
I think the lough at Glenveagh can only be fished from a boat unless I'm mistaken. It might be an idea to check that out. But I agree it would be worth it for the surroundings alone,a magical place.

You are correct Captain H. Boat only of which there are only 2 for hire.

getthenet

Reaction score
John mc Laughlin Derry is your man (ceo for Inch fly fishing club), he knows it quite well though he said that the sea trout are quite coloured and quite finickey, Glen lough is a better bet for fresh trout.

Last edited:

Leannan

Reaction score
Good luck on your trip Storkus. Please let us know how you get on.

One thing this forum seems to lack is feedback.

I remember one day about twenty years ago after a typically infuriating session on the Lackagh we stopped at the bridge before Termon for a throw on the Owenharry and my father landed four fresh fish between six and nine pound
and got snapped by a fifth in less than an hour.

OUR JACK

Reaction score
The lack agh system is far from recovered that is the reason it's closed, it was one of the best 30 odd years ago then the trout disappeared followed by the salmon.

Storkus

Reaction score
Glen lough advice

Looking for some info on Glen Lough, where to fish, best drifts for salmon, and sea trout. etc.
Also any advice on flies, size / patterns.

After last years trip to Lough Beagh, which was a great success for 'trout' fishing. I'm now looking to catch a salmon from a lake / lough.

First trip out will be on Glen Lough tomorrow, to test the new outboard.

getthenet

Reaction score
Looking for some info on Glen Lough, where to fish, best drifts for salmon, and sea trout. etc.
Also any advice on flies, size / patterns.

After last years trip to Lough Beagh, which was a great success for 'trout' fishing. I'm now looking to catch a salmon from a lake / lough.

First trip out will be on Glen Lough tomorrow, to test the new outboard.

One thing this forum seems to lack is feedback!!

You have some neck storkus;):

Storkus

Reaction score
Early September trip to Lough Beagh 2012

Left the house at 7am on 4th September to pick up the trout fishing mate Mark, the sky was clear blue and not a breath of wind.
Not the most ideal conditions for trout fishing, however by the time we had driven the 60 odd miles to Donegal the weather had changed.
It was now blowing a blustery force 6 with showers and broken sky.
Things looked a lot better, if not a bit too rough.
We met Michael from I.F.I at the jetty and small hut half way up the lough, he sorted us out with permits and pointed out a couple of hazardous rocks, and then left us to it.

Fantastic scenery, a very beautiful place to fish.

Having received some advice from other members of the forum, we headed to the southern end of the lough to fish around the in flowing river mouth.

Having drifted up and down both eastern and southern shores of the bottom end of the lough with out so much as a pull, we decided to drift along the western shore right down as far as the 'Bell'
This drift was not that easy for the wind had picked up and was blowing us along faster than we could strip the flies. So we limped along quite close to the shore, knowing that we were fishing over 'deep' water we didn't hold out much hope. But as we went further along there was a few smaller 'bays that we tried, it was in one of these that the top section of my rod flew off out after the flies.
Now in normal circumstances this would be a problem, but on this occasion whilst pulling in the line, hoping the fly would catch in the top eye, the line suddenly started pulling back.
A seatrout of nearly 2lb was struggling with the Delphi silver on the point. After a nervous few minutes the top section was retrieved and the trout played on the 3'8" section and safely landed. Being well coloured it was returned.
View from one side of the lough accross to the Castle and Gardens.

A few small brown trout later, we decided to head back down the lough and try a drift along the Eastern shore.
With lunch taken on the rolling wave. We made our way back down the lough.

Now due to the direction of the wind this was going to have to be a bit of a 'zig-zag' drift.

A change of fly from a claret bumble to a foam bodied daddy for the top dropper, nearly brought instant success. With only 10-15 yards of line stripped out and still not really fishing, there was an almighty swirl at the Daddy, I'll never forget that large white mouth as it appeared under the fly. Alas it didn't connect, but as I was reliving the event to Mark, he shouts "I'm in" and his rod buckles over as he lifts into what is a good fish.
Some ten minutes later after an epic battle, with yours truly having to get on the oars to avoid crashing it to the rocks on the shore, the fish making it's way under the boat twice and the line getting stuck in between the gap at the edge of the seat and the side of the boat.
This fine 5lb trout was safely landed photographed, weighed and returned.

Well done to Mark. It really wanted that size 8 Green Peter

Due to the distance we covered whilst playing the 'big' trout, we decided to repeat the drift, we weren't disappointed, no monsters but a few small brownies and the odd sea trout.
Some spectacular takes with trout jump 2 feet in the air with the foam daddy in it's mouth, an unforgettable evening, had more than made up for the slow morning.

Mark with a typical Sea trout from around the 'Dump'

Our last drift of the day took us down past the castle at Glenveagh, one can only imagine what the fishing was like here when the castle was occupied.

I'll be back again this year to see if it's still recovering.

Last edited:

Storkus

Reaction score

One thing this forum seems to lack is feedback!!

You have some neck storkus;):

You are of course correct, I was meaning to put up that report months ago, but never had time to photoshop the pictures:D:D:D

getthenet

Reaction score
It was all in jest!!

Good luck tomorrow on Glen... Fish the hanging rock down and tight to the shore.
Trolling seems to do best for 'springers', tight lines.

Storkus

Reaction score
Today's trip to Glen Lough was postponed due to the rain. :confused::confused:
Will get up in the next couple of weeks though and a report will follow.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

will be in Donegal (Dunfanaghy area) next week and was thinking of Glen Lough..

Any fished it recently?

Would it be my best bet in that area?

Thanks

OpentheLennon

Reaction score
Beagh on Sunday

I have a space in a boat on Sunday if anyone is interested. Contact me on 0868241449 if you would like to come along.

Storkus

Reaction score
I have a space in a boat on Sunday if anyone is interested. Contact me on 0868241449 if you would like to come along.

I'll take you up on that offer Ronan. As you said "she's took".

Looking forward to the trip, with the recent water there should be some fresh trout and salmon up in the upper lough.

Storkus

Reaction score
Hi Storkus, how did you and Ronan go on Sunday?

We did indeed, but it wasn't that good a day for it.
Morning started off ok with a good breeze and a nice wave with sporadic dark clouds mixed in with the blue sky.

First drift produced a small brown trout and a 1/2lb silver sea trout in quick succession, things were looking promising. Next drift produced a sea trout of about 3/4lb again a bar of silver.
But that was it for the sea trout, both Ronan and I had a good few small brownies up to about 1/2lb, all of which were returned. One of which was at the expense of Ronan's Hardy fly rod. OUCH!!!

We both moved a couple of bigger trout, and I was broken off by a good fish (probably a wind knot in my 8lb maxima green).

By late morning the wind had died off and the clouds had vanished into the pale blue sky, leaving me nothing more than a suntan to show for the day.
None the less an enjoyable day out and in good company.

Successful flies for me were a Delphi Silver, Leggy Claret Bumble, R. A. Green Peter, Black and Silver Dabbler. The bigger fish that broke me took a Silver Daddy just under the surface.
I'll try and get up a small video in the next day or so.