Glödhäck

Silverdream

Reaction score
I move this pic to here from TOTM, cause it doesn´t meet with the rules in there.

Anyway, Glödhäck have been absolutely best fly for me, when the weather is dark and bit rainy. Many salmon land and lost with it..

On a rainy night last July I hooked a Big one with the Glödhäck. First it just stood still 10 minutes without doing anything, as the big ones many times do.Then it ran few hundreds of meters down to the tail where it just stayed half an hour. I tried to back it up, but when I had five meters line back to the reel, it took ten.. then it rushed to the rapids and we followed it. I was so tired that I offered the rod to my friends to having a break, but they just didnt dare to take it at that point anymore, cause they were afraid to lose the fish. Then, after an hour I lost it.
If I had been there alone, I would have take a taxi and left home..
Well as my friend said decades ago: " Salmon fishing is full of up´s and downs. Have a dram for your misery and everything looks brighter"

IMG_5431_.jpg

LouisCha

Reaction score
Beautiful flies Silverdream, do you prefer them unweighted or weighted?

gcp1987

Reaction score
Great looking flies, nice solid bodies will make a cracking silhouette in the water

Smoggy

Reaction score
I move this pic to here from TOTM, cause it doesn´t meet with the rules in there.

Anyway, Glödhäck have been absolutely best fly for me, when the weather is dark and bit rainy. Many salmon land and lost with it..

On a rainy night last July I hooked a Big one with the Glödhäck. First it just stood still 10 minutes without doing anything, as the big ones many times do.Then it ran few hundreds of meters down to the tail where it just stayed half an hour. I tried to back it up, but when I had five meters line back to the reel, it took ten.. then it rushed to the rapids and we followed it. I was so tired that I offered the rod to my friends to having a break, but they just didnt dare to take it at that point anymore, cause they were afraid to lose the fish. Then, after an hour I lost it.
If I had been there alone, I would have take a taxi and left home..
Well as my friend said decades ago: " Salmon fishing is full of up´s and downs. Have a dram for your misery and everything looks brighter"

View attachment 58209

Great looking flies

Can we have the full tying pattern please?

Silverdream

Reaction score
Can we have the full tying pattern please?
- Bright plastic tube. I prefer flies like these, when have a longer body, hard tube. Soft tube is okay as well. I have used on these old Danish made tubes which are quite hard. Sawada treble 6 fits perfect. On shorter/ smaller ones I use softer tube. Note: With the Monkey hair winged flies I prefer large diameter tube, cause it is much easier to keep the materilas on the top of the tube
- Butt: bright fluorescent red, I use Danville´s tying thread, but any red material is okay. Strength with the Super Glue. Dont use varnish cause with many materials it darkens them.
- Tail: fibres from bright red hackle, but any other tail material goeas as well
- Ribbing: silver
- Body: back black silk, front black dubbing mixed some Pearl- flashabou. Brushed lightly
- Hackle: black, from where the dubbing begins. Turn few rounds as front hackle also
- Wing: black Bucktail under, a bit longer than the tube, secure with drop of varnish . Second layer Monkey, bit longer than the Bucktail, secure with drop of varnish. Top layer long, slim Monkey, secure.
Dont cut the stems after you have placed the materials. Cut the all together with sharp knife. It is much easier to place the Monkey when have some support under. Hold the wing tight when doing the cutting. Monkey is quite stiff annd slippery material. When using scissors the layers can turn a bit. As I said earlier, it is very important to keep the materials on the top of the tube. Dont let them spread on the sides.
-Sides: Juncle Cock

Here´s old article I made for the Finnish fly fishing magazine ten years back. There you can find SBS instructions for the tying. I suppose you dont understand anything about the content 🤣🤣

Smoggy

Reaction score
- Bright plastic tube. I prefer flies like these, when have a longer body, hard tube. Soft tube is okay as well. I have used on these old Danish made tubes which are quite hard. Sawada treble 6 fits perfect. On shorter/ smaller ones I use softer tube. Note: With the Monkey hair winged flies I prefer large diameter tube, cause it is much easier to keep the materilas on the top of the tube
- Butt: bright fluorescent red, I use Danville´s tying thread, but any red material is okay. Strength with the Super Glue. Dont use varnish cause with many materials it darkens them.
- Tail: fibres from bright red hackle, but any other tail material goeas as well
- Ribbing: silver
- Body: back black silk, front black dubbing mixed some Pearl- flashabou. Brushed lightly
- Hackle: black, from where the dubbing begins. Turn few rounds as front hackle also
- Wing: black Bucktail under, a bit longer than the tube, secure with drop of varnish . Second layer Monkey, bit longer than the Bucktail, secure with drop of varnish. Top layer long, slim Monkey, secure.
Dont cut the stems after you have placed the materials. Cut the all together with sharp knife. It is much easier to place the Monkey when have some support under. Hold the wing tight when doing the cutting. Monkey is quite stiff annd slippery material. When using scissors the layers can turn a bit. As I said earlier, it is very important to keep the materials on the top of the tube. Dont let them spread on the sides.
-Sides:
Juncle Cock

Here´s old article I made for the Finnish fly fishing magazine ten years back. There you can find SBS instructions for the tying. I suppose you dont understand anything about the content 🤣🤣

Thank you