Gillie tips

Stuart1108

Reaction score
Fishing with a gillie for first time soon what is a acceptable tip it is just 1 days fishing on the tay thanks in advance

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Here is a previous similar thread, albeit some time ago.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Fishing with a gillie for first time soon what is a acceptable tip it is just 1 days fishing on the tay thanks in advance
I got £400 for a week once c 1985 for 3 rods & c 30 salmon. That‘s c £20 per rod day. I got £300 once for 2 Rods for one week when one rod got no fish and the other got 26 because he listened. Plus £20 when I got an 18- pounder out of weed by smacking the surface with an oar.

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
I know it wasn't a ghillie but a few years ago I was invited as a guest to a 200 bird pheasant shoot on quite a posh estate. One of the other guests who was a local farmer asked our host what he should tip the head keeper and was told that £50 would be acceptable. The guest looked back at our host and replied. 'I said how much to tip him, not TUP him.' ;)

nickolas

Reaction score
Might depend if its 1:1 or split, on 1:1 on a good beat not less than £30 per day, possibly similar to a days shooting on a driving day already suggested, also it might depend on if you will be going again to the same water and if your ghilly gave you a good day, doesn’t have to be productive. It would also depend on whether he’s payEd by the estate as well Or he’s totally self employed. If your one of 6 rods with a shared ghilly and he’s payed by the estate £10-£20 for the day.

kramdrazzi

Generally, I’m sloshed.
Reaction score
On a single day I always tip a minimum of £30 if the Ghillie has ghillied. If I like him it’s more. If he’s just shown up to open the hut and then again to collect his tip it might be less (or it might not - depends on who it is and if whisky has been provided). If I have caught a fish and the Ghillie has been instrumental in landing it or putting me onto it, it could be considerably more.

In short - tip whatever you feel comfortable tipping.

PerryPoker

Reaction score
Tip the ghillie what you can afford if you have been given a good service. You wouldn’t tip the barber for a crap hair cut. I’ve only had a handful of bad experiences with the odd ghillie and generally I give them £20 if I have paid for a day. If I catch a fish or two then I will give £30.