Gentian violet

bencarvosso

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any links to buy some of this...
The one person I contacted on eBay was out of it at the moment.
Or if anyone cared to sell a little I would be hugely greatfull

Cheers Ben

morphfly

Reaction score
Now your talking a brush and a tub of gentian violet and our Covid problem would be solved. And more aesthetically pleasing than iodine.
Oh for days long gone
Morphfly

Middle Bay

Reaction score
I remember using gentian violet many years ago as a topical treatment in hospital. However it was withdrawn, I think, as it was suspected of being potentially carcinogenic.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I bought some of Ebay around 5 years ago, still got some in crystal form, horrible stuff, very difficult to dissolve properly, and will dye anything that comes into contact. You need very small amounts, if you can find it , get it in liquid form, so much easier to handle, and wash it off the prawns /shrimps very thoroughly after dyeing otherwise your fingers will end up purple.
peter

bencarvosso

Reaction score
How would one go about using the liquid
Poor into the boiling water with 5he prawns ?

Thanks

sneakypeter

Reaction score
How would one go about using the liquid
Poor into the boiling water with 5he prawns ?

Thanks
Basically yes, put it in the water, then add prawns, use a very small amount, you can always add a bit more if the colour is not what you want, but too much will make them almost black, it acts very quickly, do a few at a time, better than spoiling the whole lot!
peter

bencarvosso

Reaction score
Thanks for your help peter
There seems to be various liquids for sale on eBay
Any that you would recommend

Thanks again

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I have not used the liquid form, so its a bit of a lottery, just buy the highest concentration, it will last you for years.
peter

the ditch

Reaction score
I bought some of Ebay around 5 years ago, still got some in crystal form, horrible stuff, very difficult to dissolve properly, and will dye anything that comes into contact. You need very small amounts, if you can find it , get it in liquid form, so much easier to handle, and wash it off the prawns /shrimps very thoroughly after dyeing otherwise your fingers will end up purple.
peter
simply thing to do with the crystals is to crush them into fine powder once that is done then add two spoons of gentian into a 2l container and fill 1/3 of the way with warm water give it a good mixing/shaking and then fill up with water this will save you a fortune buying them 100ml bottles,,, just add to your water untill you get the purple you want i use a kebab skewer for this as the dye stick to it and also for stirring.

Johnny fisher

Reaction score
You should be able to get the crystals on eBay just boil some water and put a very small amount use a small tea spoon into the water use a seive with a few prawns in it dip it in the die to check the colour add more die if your not happy with the colour rinse well in cold water

bencarvosso

Reaction score
Finally have 25 grams of the powder arrived today....
So was thinking a tea spoon to start in a normal size pot of water and test some prawns to see if colour is ok. Thinking outside with camping stove and rubber gloves. Can I add it to the sea water and put in the live prawns so in essence dying and cooking at same time.
Then thoroughly wash prawns and dry on newspaper

claretmad

Reaction score
You should be able to get the crystals on eBay just boil some water and put a very small amount use a small tea spoon into the water use a seive with a few prawns in it dip it in the die to check the colour add more die if your not happy with the colour rinse well in cold water
[/QUOTE
Finally have 25 grams of the powder arrived today....
So was thinking a tea spoon to start in a normal size pot of water and test some prawns to see if colour is ok. Thinking outside with camping stove and rubber gloves. Can I add it to the sea water and put in the live prawns so in essence dying and cooking at same time.
Then thoroughly wash prawns and dry on newspaper
Just put a bit in the sea water to much your prawns will turn black.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
A quarter of a teaspoon is probably too much, be careful, it will stain anything, metal/plastic/you, even paving stones etc. Get water boiling, add crystals and stir, when fully dissolved add prawns, but check colour every 30 seconds or so, they will cook in a few minutes, and dye quicker, so do not put too much in, they will turn almost black very quickly if the solution is too strong, good luck!!!!!

bencarvosso

Reaction score
Thanks Peter. Gonna hit the beach tomorrow and gather some shrimps and prawns....
Will let you know how I fared

sneakypeter

Reaction score
A diluted solution of bleach will remove any accidental spillage. Its easier if you can crush the crystals, with care mind, any dust will stick and washing just results in dye spots, i use a saucepan and a hammer, just grind it rather than whack it, stops it flying about. But make sure both are bone dry!

bencarvosso

Reaction score
20200806_162519.jpg20200806_155240.jpg

Had a go and they turned out ok. I didn't destroy anything and didn't get it on myself lol....
Didn't get a huge amount of prawn and shrimp but enough for a week or two

Turned out well. Used a quarter tea spoon to start off with. Could probably use more as they turned out light enough. But I like them. Can try more next batch.
Went into town to collect some food and tried some for 15 mins. Lost a bar of silver 5th cast, so the salmon liked em.
Thanks for advice